Articulate 360 Error When Setting Triggers

Jan 31, 2017

Anyone else having issues when trying to set a trigger to an image/shape. Regardless of what I try I get the attached error. Can't progress forward in development if I can't set my triggers.

Any ideas for a workaround?

27 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for that screen recording, Sheri! I can certainly see how that error message is keeping you from moving forward. Just to be sure, is this file saved to your local hard drive? Working on a network drive or an external (USB) drive can cause erratic behavior, so you'll want to work from your local drive if you aren't already.

From there, I'd try importing the content into a brand new Storyline file as explained here. If that doesn't help, a simple repair usually fixes the problem. 

Try out those steps, and let me know how you make out!

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks for that update, Sheri. There's one more thing I'd like to check before we escalate this to the Support Engineers. I see from your video this is happening on Slide 4.2 - is that the only slide it's happening on, or all slides? If that's the only slide, there may be a corrupt object on that slide. You can identify it by deleting objects one by one until you find the culprit.

If you're seeing this on all slides, I'd like to get your file over to our Support Engineers for further troubleshooting. They're experts at this kind of thing, and you'll be in good hands. Also be sure to share your case number with me so I can follow along, as well. 

Justin Andros

After updating I started to receive the exact same error on all my projects. 

Edit: You can use the keyboard (arrow keys and tab) to navigate the trigger setup window but as soon as you click on any of the popups the error occurs. Hope that helps the team. (Sorry, I have no idea where those tickets are processed so I can't add this bit there.) 

Sheri Israel-Duarte

Hey all- to update I had to connect with our IT team as I'm unable to get the logs needed. Hoping they will be able to share.

Justin- I've been able to work around the issue by using the tab, enter and arrow keys when I open the trigger dialog box as opposed to trying to use the mouse. Not ideal and takes some time from development, but at least I've been able to move forward with my projects.

Alper Boz

Hi All,

The error occurs when pressing any combo box in Storyline. According to our error report  it's seem clearly:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<ErrorReport xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<FirstName /> <LastName />
<EmailAddress>abc@abc.com</EmailAddress>
<MachineName>ABC-PC</MachineName>
<HardwareId>ABCD-ABCD-ABCD-ABCD-ABCD</HardwareId>
<Message>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</Message>
<StackTrace> at Articulate.Windows.Forms.Metro.MetroComboBox.q()
at Articulate.Windows.Forms.Metro.MetroComboBox.WndProc(Message&amp; message)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message&amp; m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message&amp; m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)</StackTrace>
</ErrorReport>

Justin Grenier

Sheri, Justin, and Alper:

We've found that a Windows Classic system theme on a Windows 7 computer can cause an error in the Storyline 360 trigger wizard. We're working on a fix for it now. Until the fix is ready, you can switch to an Aero or Windows Basic theme to avoid the problem. Here's how to do that.

Please let us know if this resolves the problem for you!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.