Articulate 360 Personal-Will this work?

Aug 05, 2018

Hi,

I'm enrolled in an elearning certificate and I've been learning a lot with the Articulate 360 trial version. I absolutely love it! I've never worked with any authoring tools before starting with Articulate and I'm shocked at how quickly you can learn the various tools and feel accomplished. I enrolled in the certificate program because I've always been interested in instructional design. That said, I'm trying figure out if I should purchase it because it's pretty expensive for me since my primary work role (project management) doesn't require that I design courses. However, I would be willing to purchase it if I knew that I could perhaps volunteer to help my department's ID team with some of their projects. They currently use Storyline 3. Any advice on if I would be able to use Storyline 360 for Storyline 3 projects? Is this a smart investment for a complete novice? I appreciate all feedback.

Thank you!

7 Replies
Benjamin Passons

They are mostly compatible together, but there are a few features in 360 that won't work with SL3 (I think the smart player is one and perhaps the content library). However, from a purely programming perspective they are pretty identical...the real benefit to me with 360 is the ability to publish online and use Review for SME/stakeholder/peer feedback and collaboration. As far as being a smart investment? I can't really say because I really don't know what you have going on in your life and how open your ID team is to offers for help. I know I've purchased software/subscriptions on the side to get ahead of the curve in some areas (Camtasia and Videoscribe come to mind), but those are relatively cheap compared to 360...

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kandice,

It's great that you're expanding your skill set and looking for ways to help your department's ID team! Storyline 360 courses will open in Storyline 3, with a few exceptions that Benjamin mentioned, which are detailed in this article too.  We keep that up to date as new updates are released. 

If you're still stuck choosing between Storyline 3 and Articulate 360, feel free to talk through any questions with our Sales team. We want to make sure you have the tools you need, and with Articulate 360 there's a ton of benefit to each tool and why you'd need them.  If it's not for you, no worries, Storyline 3 is a great alternative and would ensure you're in line with the rest of your team. 

Kandice Kidd

Hi Benjamin!

Thanks for your response and advice. I did speak to my elearning director and she said they've used 360 for some updates to SL3 courses and things are good so far. She said she's willing to let me help with beginner projects.  It could be crazy on my part because I oversee my own team and now I'm asking for more work!  Anyhow, I just feel that I will only get better if I'm constantly working on the software.

Thank you again!

KK

Kandice Kidd

Hey Ashley!

Thank you so much. I might be a bit addicted to 360 so I don't know if I'd buy Storyline 3! My company's eLearning Director said that I could ask my Chief Learning Officer to buy SL3 for my work computer, but I'd like to buy 360 for myself. 

Am I eligible to purchase via the academic discount while I'm in certificate program? My instructor said that we should be able to do that.

Thank you!

KK

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.