Articulate 360 video freezing on first frame with Iphone

Aug 01, 2017

Hi, 

Has anyone else had any issues with video not playing when being viewed from iphone?

I have a course with multiple videos and two of them, when viewed on iphone freeze at the start of the slide. The timeline continues, and the next page can be accessed. The videos are on the base layer, and work fine for all other browser tests.

7 Replies
Mark Matheson

Thanks Ali,

Its a pretty big file, but its attached here. The issues specifically effect pages in the third section: 3.7, 3.12, 3.14. 

The course is being viewed via a weblink hosted on one of our servers, and works fine for all other tests we have done on pc. Iphone however is a required device by the client.

More than one iphone at our office has encountered these issues with those specific pages. Refreshing the webpage seems to generally get things back going though.

Cheers,

Mark.

Ali Goulet

Hey Mark!

Thanks so much for allowing me to test your file out. 

I published and uploaded it to the web- the videos in the slides you mentioned played for me on iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.3.

Take a look at it here and let me know if you're seeing the same behavior. I set the menu navigation to Free for testing purposes. 

If you're seeing it happen there, what iPhone version and iOS are you using when viewing? We've seen instances of videos not playing well with older versions, so I'm curious if that's what's happening here. 

Keep me posted! 

Mark Matheson

Thanks for testing it Ali. We originally got the freezing to occur on an iPhone 7 running 10.3.3, so I guess its not to do with that. 

I haven't had a chance to test your link on an iPhone yet, but can I ask: did you jump straight to the pages I mentioned to test them? I ask because during our testing I created a small file consisting of only the troublesome video pages, and when uploaded to web, worked fine on the same iPhone.

The issue only seemed to occur when you watched the web course from the very start, all the way through (i know that takes a while..!). Meanwhile an LMS version we created using the same files, but with the sections split up into separate files, seemed to cause no issues.

I wondered if it was maybe to do with the size of the project causing issues as the phone chugs through all three sections of video?

Ali Goulet

Hey Mark!

Thanks for including all those details, really helpful to have.  I did jump to those slides, so that explains why I may not have encountered it. 

We've experienced similar issues with videos in large courses on occasion, so knowing that it worked when split into smaller sections is a great clue here- thanks for letting me know that!

When you have a chance, take a run through that link I shared above and let me know if you find the same loading issues happening there.

Ali Goulet

Hey Mark!

I'd have to agree, it does appear to be file size related. Thanks for letting me know these details, and for all the testing you've been doing here. It's really appreciated!

When working with large files being deployed for mobile learners, I have a few recommendations to keep in mind: 

1. You're already on the right track with this first one:
    Test your course thoroughly in mobile Safari to determine if it works as expected. If your learners have different generations of iOS devices, be sure to test each model.
  2. I also recommend testing HTML5 content in the Google Chrome desktop browser—which provides the best HTML5 support—to establish the baseline performance of your content. Then, compare your Google Chrome experience with mobile Safari. Depending on the results, you may need to adjust the design of your course to achieve better performance in mobile Safari.
  3. While newer iPad/iPhone models provide better performance because they have more memory, you may also be able to improve performance by updating the iOS software to the latest version.
  4. Make sure your Storyline software is up-to-date in order to take advantage of all the latest enhancements and fixes. Here's how you can check for updates for Storyline 360.

I'm really sorry that this has been causing some headaches during your testing. We're constantly working to improve our mobile support to provide the best possible experience for your learners across all platforms, and I've reported your experience here to our team.  

Thanks again for detailing these issues and sharing your file with me! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.