Articulate 360 vs Adapt Builder

Jan 13, 2017

Hi All, 

I have recently joined a new company and we are currently in the process of analysing several different authoring tools to decide which would be best suited to our needs. 

The main two tools we are looking at are Articulate 360 and Adapt Builder. I have been using Storyline for a few years now and I am very familiar with the products. I am less familiar with Adapt.  

What are the main benefits of using Storyline vs using Adapt. Are there any key pieces of functionality in Storyline that are not in Adapt?

5 Replies
Michael Hinze

Comparing Stoyline to Adapt means comparing apples to oranges. Storyline 360 is a desktop application that scales content to various device screens and provides a responsive player. Adapt is a cloud-based authoring tool that lets you create truly responsive content. For a fair comparison, you should look at RISE vs. Adapt Builder. 

Techno10 Lorrain

So, as I understand, Stroryline, in the 360 suite, is not creating true responsive content. It doesn't take advantage of relative positioning and relative scaling. It makes a (kind of) snapshot of your scene and scale it for the appropriate display... Through the player?! 

I haven't testdrive SL360 yet(work overload). I am really excited about this release but have yet to confirm my worries. 

Ulises Musseb

My guess is that you mean comparing Articulate Rise with Adapt. I started playing with both and they both seem pretty good at what they promise to deliver. Adapt has the open source option. My personal complaint is that the cost of 360 doesn't make up for having decentralized, equally powerful, less expensive alternatives. Which is why I use Adapt.

Leonie S

Hi. For choosing between Rise & Adapt, it may come down to how much you want to be able to customise content and how comfortable you are with a bit of coding.

Rise is simpler to use but a bit restrictive in what you can do. Adapt has a large community of people providing new plugins and seems more likely to be able to add in extra functionality faster - but that activity may drive Articulate to keep up soon after.

Adapt is 'free' if you have somewhere to host it and someone internal who can cope with a bit of coding to customise and publish courses via 'Adapt Framework' - otherwise you'll need to pay for 3rd party support. There is also 'Adapt Builder' which allows an increasing amount of editing without needing to code, but I think that is just available via LearningPool as a paid service? 

This review is useful http://blog.learnchamp.com/en/articulate-rise-and-adapt-learning-a-comparison 

Storyline gives much more freedom and functionality than Rise but output isn't truly responsive. Articulate 360 would give you both options, but you can't convert content from one to the other.

Also, both Rise & Adapt are html5 only. Storyline output can include Flash backup for people on old PCs - if that's an issue for your audience.

Techno10 Lorrain

Thanks Leonie,

My hopes were high with the upcoming version of Storyline. The new articulate 360 looks fine for a solo elearning developer, great environement, great resources.

Here, we can't overwork and come out with 2 versions of the same product: one with Storyline and a skim down version with RISE. We're in an Agile workflow and I just can't afford HR into 2 team re-adapting content for PC and for mobile everytime clients need changes. To us this is money down the drain. 

Hopefully I am totally wrong with my statement and there is something missing in my claims.

I haven't had the time to testdrive the 360 suite yet, we are not ahead of our game here but we strive for efficiency.

Who wants an app to create a unique product playable on mobile AND desktop, being fully responsive by webstandard and support for newer file formats(SVG, FLIF,BPG,webP,...)? (This is my long shot!)

Cheers!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.