Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

I am confused by this new Articulate 360 and what it means for Articulate Storyline. Does this mean that no further development will occur on Articulate Storyline 2, standalone version? Will there ever be an Articulate Storyline 3? What about people who bought a platinum licence with an upgrade option who do not want to go to Articulate 360? Will they get a refund on the upgrade portion or will they be forced to go to 360 if they want to benefit from their upgrade purchase?

While I see that there is benefit, especially for new customers, to 360, I am still not sure that it is worth mine and my company's money to take a perpetual licence and change it to a subscription for what I perceive to only be minor feature enhancements.

I am open to be shown why the expense would be worth my while?

269 Replies
Brian Allen

Tiffani, the concern regarding the future viability of the perpetual licenses is definitely legitimate, that's one I can understand and empathize with.

It would indeed be nice to hear someone from Articulate say that IF perpetual licenses are ever done away with, that Articulate would follow an Adobe-style model of allowing users to subscribe a la carte to different products in the 360 suite.

I agree that voicing your concerns is the best way to ensure that the Articulate higher-ups hear and see that this is a major issue for many of it's customers.

From my experience Articulate has always been tight-lipped regarding this kind of future strategy/future direction, and understandably so. I continue to be a customer because they have always done a great job of listening and taking care of me as they've made changes and shifts in direction, and I hope that they will continue that trend going forward.

Matt Garratt

Harry,

I'm not sure what your latest post to me was suggesting. I'm hoping that it wasn't intended as 'if YOU don't agree, don't post'. I may have misinterpreted, but that was the feeling I got. I'm not here to convince anyone. I'm sharing my perspective as a SL3 user who also didn't see value in upgrading to 360. Like you, I've followed the thread for sometime and I've also shared many of the feelings you have had.

To be clear, I've reached the conclusion that:

1) Storyline staff have said they are listening. I believe them. Future product releases will have considered all feedback they've received.

2) They are talking up value of the 360 package because they believe in that value, and it is their job to promote that value. They want as many people to come on board with 360's other stuff because it is a more viable business model AND it makes no sense to have a 360 stand alone product while Stoyline 3 is still in lockstep, which means...

3) They have a solution that meets everyone's needs, right now. Don't like 360 package? Get SL3! Its the same as 360!

4) SL3 came 2+ years after SL2 release. While I believe it is important the community voices their concerns about current and future releases, at the same time I also think its not worth panicking for 30 months about possible future release strategies, when staff haven't revealed anything about them. 

I honestly don't feel like it is necessary to be talking about redundancy of SL3, when SL2 is still being used by industry, and both SL2 and SL3 have sufficient features to create great eLearning. Perhaps the discussion should turn into what features could they give to 360 that would make us switch and be willing to pay the subscription price? To be honest, I can't think of any (but I'm keen to hear other perspectives!)

Love your passion...but please... peace-out!

Pierre Jouan
Matt Garratt

3) They have a solution that meets everyone's needs, right now. Don't like 360 package? Get SL3! Its the same as 360!

Definitely not!

New closed captions editor: Now you can create and edit closed captions right in Storyline 360. The new closed captions editor makes it quick and easy to adjust imported captions or add new ones with the help of caption placeholders that are already synced with your audio or video content.

And there will be more and more SL360 exclusive features as it continues to evolve...

Jake Hurt

Pierre, from what I have been told SL3 will have the same features up to a certain point.

This was with regards to conversations about transferring .story files between 3 and 360.

For a certain amount of time SL3 will get the same features, albeit later, but at some point they will deviate.

How Articulate handles that in terms of future perpetual licences or not is anybodys guess.

Harry Carter

Matt,

What I mean was that any interaction between you and I would be similar to beating a dead horse. I say this, you say that. I say this again, you say that again. I simply, DISAGREE with you. And unless you have clout at Articulate or can make things happen for people who agree with ME, it makes zero sense for ME to interact with YOU on this subject.

My intent is to bolster my concerns with more similar opinions so that collectively, we can prove that we have a voice and that we're not just the "other ones" who's opinions don't matter.

Bottom line is that it's $1,000 bucks a year for Articulate 360 and that's too damn much if you ask people such as myself who have very small businesses.

And for what possible reason would you tell me to "peace out"? This is a discussion forum...created for discussions.  YOU peace out, lol.

Brian Allen
Jake Hurt

please keep things civil

Thanks Jake for the reminder. For what it's worth, it's always my goal to keep things civil, especially in this community, which is one of the best I participate in. One of the reasons I'm still a part of it.

Which is why I hate to see individuals (not you) clearly trolling and making the same false statement over and over with nothing to back it up. I can handle facts, but I'm just not used to seeing trolling of this kind here in this community.

Matt Garratt
Harry Carter

Matt,

What I mean was that any interaction between you and I would be similar to beating a dead horse. I say this, you say that. I say this again, you say that again. I simply, DISAGREE with you. And unless you have clout at Articulate or can make things happen for people who agree with ME, it makes zero sense for ME to interact with YOU on this subject.

This is a discussion forum...created for discussions.

Harry,

You need to peace out because you are not respecting that what we are having is a discussion that has included repeated requests for clarity on what your argument actually is. You disagree...with what?! Why would you purchase the licence for $1000 a year when all you want to use is 360 with SL3 available? 

Your vacuum cleaner example makes no sense in the current situation. Don't want the dog food? Buy the vacuum cleaner outright at a lower price! There was a lot of concern before SL3 came out that the whole 360 package was the only option available. But things have changed since then.

If you want any chance of the 'brass' paying attention to your concerns, I suggest you view my (and others) as an opportunity to clarify your position rather than meaningless backwards and forwards-ing. You are quite right that if you do view responding to the community as dead horse flogging (remember I'm part of the community too) the discussion fast turns into meaningless rambling.

You want an a la carte option for users of 360 only...well I say it is available right now (just called SL3). And in the future releases, I believe those who chose to use SL3 over the 360 package will be respected and considered.

My messages are as much for the 'brass' as yours are.

Brian Allen
Harry Carter

Is this chart accurate? 

Those "top 6" features are features intrinsic to the Articulate 360 suite integration, and are only valuable to people who subscribe.

SL3 and SL360 are exactly the same, as has been said at least a dozen times, with the exception of the 360 features, which happen to be featured at the top of the comparison chart.

If those top 6 features are something you find valuable, then it's possible that the subscription for 360 is worth it after all.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.