Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

I am confused by this new Articulate 360 and what it means for Articulate Storyline. Does this mean that no further development will occur on Articulate Storyline 2, standalone version? Will there ever be an Articulate Storyline 3? What about people who bought a platinum licence with an upgrade option who do not want to go to Articulate 360? Will they get a refund on the upgrade portion or will they be forced to go to 360 if they want to benefit from their upgrade purchase?

While I see that there is benefit, especially for new customers, to 360, I am still not sure that it is worth mine and my company's money to take a perpetual licence and change it to a subscription for what I perceive to only be minor feature enhancements.

I am open to be shown why the expense would be worth my while?

269 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Will,

You can have Storyline 1, 2 and 360 all installed on the same machine. You can also install Studio 360 there as well. The only ones that can't live together are Studio '13 and Studio 360. If you try to download Studio 360 it'll remove Studio 13 since they're both plugins to your existing Powerpoint software. 

E Hanna

My thoughts are the same as everyone else here - only writing them down because I'm sure reception of this release has to be getting monitored in some way.

For my company, which uses 100% desktop delivery of materials, the new features in 360 are nice but largely irrelevant, and the price is stratospheric compared to what we would be willing to pay, particularly when Captivate (an inferior program, but one which will surely be improving) can be had for less than 50% of the price.  We will never be using any of the other building tools within this suite, just Storyline.  Were my Department Manager able to pay $30/mo just for Storyline, I'm sure she'd jump at the chance, but there's a zero percent chance that we'll pay $1000 per year per user to get Storyline and an arsenal of add-ons which we will never use.

I'm glad to see that Storyline 3 will still be released at some point in the not too distant future, and we're likely to make that upgrade at some point down the road, but for now this new service is a complete dud for us.

Fraser M

I know Articulate is trying to follow the Microsoft subscription model to make more money. Microsoft's Office suite includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc which pretty much everyone in the world uses and they charge $69 per year.

I downloaded the trial, and Storyline 360 looks almost identical to Storyline 2. I don't see why all of us loyal Storyline users should wait a year for what looks like Storyline 2.5.  I'm a HUGE supporter and promoter of Articulate Storyline through my very large network.  I have converted many companies that I have contracted with from Captivate to Storyline.  I know all companies need to make money, but this approach with 360 seems to be a bit of a slap in the face to your loyal Storyline customers.  :(

Will Findlay

Thanks Justin! I replied in an email in the ticket I opened that I think I've narrowed it down to being something our corporate internet proxy/firewall is interfering with. If I access from a computer that connects to our guest network I am able to see the downloads button, but from our more secure internal network I have the problem I described.

Justin Grenier

Ah, that's a great catch, Will.

This article will tell your internal IT team everything they need to know about the ports and endpoints that 360 will try to access.  Could you share that with them in an effort to unblock whatever might be blocking us?

In the interim, I've asked Miker to see if we can get a remote assistance session going on your machine to look for errors in your browser console.  Expect to hear from him very shortly.  

Laurel Schulert
Emily Burnett

Hi Helena,

You can take a look at Preso here, and Peek here. The 360 subscription will include all of the products, including Studio 360. As Brian stated above, we will be releasing the perpetual products next year, so if you want to stick with that you can. 

But feel free to play around with the new Apps in a free trial!

Hi Emily, I'm loving 360 so far. I just wanted to drop you a quick note to tell you that there's a typo in the Preso description you linked (it says "on  you iPad" and not "on your iPad").

Allan Bolton

Brian,

Will Storyline 360 .story files be 100% editable/compatible with above mentioned Storyline 3 and vice versa?

For example, let's say a course is produced using SL360 by an e learning production firm for a client who keeps a perpetual SL3 license for making minor in-house changes to the source files.

In the scenario above must the client have an Articulate 360 subscription?

A YES or NO response would be appreciated followed by any other information you wish to provide.

Thanks

Brian Gil

Allan,

In general, we'd like to avoid breaking changes, but it happens. Like, if we introduce a new dial style in version X, you'll need to use at least version X to edit and publish that dial style. So, if you're still on version W, you might see a message like, "this project includes a dial style that requires version X. Please upgrade to version X."

Our plan is to try and limit this though and keep it isolated to projects actually using new features.

Alexander Salas

I find Rise and the content library to be worth the price of it alone folks.  Could you use something else to build the content you can develop with Rise? Sure but, you could also spend countless hours coding it but, that's not what Articulate360 solves.  This product closes a big gap in the elearning curve for those that are not expert designers.  The main benefit here is the facilitation of rapid development. One product and one resource for all your dev needs.  No more chasing 10 different multimedia components to put together a quality module.

I understand this takes away from the "build it from scratch" creative feeling many designers enjoy (I'm guilty of that ;  )  but, it definitely gives L&D a way to improve quality tremendously.

Donna Sugarman

I agree that the price seems high, i would rather pay nothing if i could like anyone else but if you look at some of the big players in responsive learning (not adapt) including elucidat then you start paying nearly £1,000 a year just for that software and not the extra bits of software on offer. A lot of products are going this model and it makes sense if you want to constantly get product updates and stay with the fast paced industry we work in. If its too expensive keep with version 2, I like the fact that Articulate are giving us the option. I'm a freelancer and only a day into my trial and looks interesting already...

Mark Schwartz

Barry and Lawrence:  We continue to sell, support, and invest in the development of a perpetual license version of Storyline.  Our development teams are hard at work developing Storyline 3.  If Articulate 360 doesn't meet your needs, we're always open to knowing how we can do better. Have you downloaded a trial and checked out Rise, Articulate Review, Content Library, Storyline 360 or any of the other goodies in Articulate 360?  Should it not meet your ROI metrics, Storyline perpetual remains available:  https://articulate.com/p/storyline-2. Thanks for your questions and feedback.  For more information see here:  https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/articulate-360#reply-391802

Jake Hurt

I've offered a lot of complaints for this model, but if you would like some useful feedback:

1: Most of the issues around here would have been avoided had Storyline 3 been released perpetually at the same time as 360. You say that you aren't forcing people into a subscription model yet only offer the new version of Storyline with all its HTML5 goodness to people that subscribe.

2: Let people pick what they want from 360 and cost it appropriately, 360 is $1300 a year per person for the team version. Let's call it $110 a month for this discussion. According to your "Compare Articulate 360 with Other Solutions" table, a desktop authoring app is 1/5th of the cost. Therefore we should be able to get Storyline 360 for 1/5th of this price, say $20-$25 per month per user.

We would definitely be happy paying $25 per person per month for that.

Alternatively, given that bundles would traditionally be cheaper than separate components, even $30-$35 per person per month would be acceptable, with discounts applied to people that went for all apps. The discounted cost then being $110 per month. Bear in mind these costs are assuming the team version, you can tweak them for the solo versions.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.