Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

I am confused by this new Articulate 360 and what it means for Articulate Storyline. Does this mean that no further development will occur on Articulate Storyline 2, standalone version? Will there ever be an Articulate Storyline 3? What about people who bought a platinum licence with an upgrade option who do not want to go to Articulate 360? Will they get a refund on the upgrade portion or will they be forced to go to 360 if they want to benefit from their upgrade purchase?

While I see that there is benefit, especially for new customers, to 360, I am still not sure that it is worth mine and my company's money to take a perpetual licence and change it to a subscription for what I perceive to only be minor feature enhancements.

I am open to be shown why the expense would be worth my while?

269 Replies
Damien Zwillinger

I feel like you should have merged Articulate Online (that's outdated) and Rise in one offering and make this an LMS at the same time; this is the missing bit in your story in my opinion.

We purchased Storyline2 two months ago, and I am so happy we got the perpetual license considering A360 annual subscription price is actually what our perpetual license cost us.

I am in the software industry and SaaS; it is generally accepted that cloud software make profits after only 2-3 years, not instantly. And you know what, those cloud software incur infrastructure costs as well... which is not your case not selling SaaS products (other than Online).

Also being in Australia, the currency conversion doesn't help. So I couldn't agree m,ore with some of the above comments, you got the wrong pricing. Would have loved to upgrade and get the new SL, or initially purchase SL2 as a subscription plan but again glad we purchased SL2 two months ago.

Rachel Craig

Hi, Ashley,

Does Studio 360 work with Powerpoint '16? I no longer can use any of my Studio '09 plug ins, which is frustrating, as I am updating old courses created with Studio '09.

I would like to point out how hard it is to actually find information about Storyline 2 or any of the other Articulate products on the website. Users have to scroll down to the bottom, and then once you click on a product, ie Storyline 2, half the page is dedicated to comparing Articulate 360 to Storyline, and actively telling users to get 360 instead! https://articulate.com/p/storyline-2. Some of the new features in 360 are pretty cool, such as Rise and Review. I can't justify a case for signing up for the subscription feature when I know we won't use everything and Storyline 2 is still the best authoring tool for our E-learning needs.  

It also states that Storyline 2 users will not have access to "Subscription to comprehensive solution with continual stream of releases" while you will get a continual stream of releases with 360. I feel like the communication surrounding Articulate 360's release was unclear as to how it affects users who will most likely NOT be upgrading.

I like Storyline 2 a lot, so I will continue to use this authoring tool and wait for the HTML5 and 508 compliant upgrades I've put in multiple requests for, and hope we get clear communication regarding Storyline and Studio updates.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Rachel,

Yes, it does work with Powerpoint 2010 or later (so that would include 2016) You can see the combined system requirements here. 

Sorry you  found things difficult to find - I'm still learning the whole new set up myself! But we're pretty excited about Articulate 360 so it's getting a lot of focus on the site. I believe this is the page you got to, and the information on Articulate 360 is about halfway down.

In regards to the subscription updates, with Articulate 360 we can push out fixes and new features really quickly based on the subscription and desktop app we're using to connect you to all the products - so that's what it's referring to in terms of continual stream of releases. Some are even happening without even a notice such as a few changes to behaviors in Rise (that came direct from feedback here in the forums). Storyline 2 is still supported and we'll still have a perpetual version of the software as well, and a new version of Storyline and Studio is slated for release sometime in 2017 - so if you're choosing not to upgrade the release of Articulate 360 won't impact you. You can keep your perpetual and keep receiving the same support you've become accustomed too. What that looks like in terms of updates and fixes will be similar to our previous cycle and history of releases and updates. 

I hope that helps clarify things a bit further - and if you have any other questions, feel free to let us know here or feel free to reach out to Success team here and they could walk you through what the upgrade path would look like for you. 

Mark Schwartz
Barry Galvin

Getting emails from Articulate every single day now trying to sell me the great things about 360!! Seems very desperate of them; trying to justify the huge expense for it! Not going to work; the pricing is simply ridiculous!

Hi Barry.  Rest assured, we're sending you frequent emails about Articulate 360 because there are so many new things in 360 that we want to share that information with you.  If they are bothersome to you, we apologize, and you're certainly free to unsubscribe.   We appreciate your support of Articulate products in the past, and it seems like the perpetual Storyline route is a possible go-forward route for you.  

Mark Shepherd

Hi Kevin:

Don't know if the pricing has changed since launch, but if you look at the pricing page for business, it's actually $1K ($999) per year for new users, and not $1,300.

That being said, I agree that this price vs. upgrade cost does seem a little steep, particularly given that it's going to likely be at least a 2-3 year investment.

Mark Shepherd

Hi Jeff:

I'm liking most of 360 so far too, but I would also like to "delete" (he said in Doctor Who Cybermen-style  voice, a la Nicholas Briggs) Studio and Preso. 

They just don't do much for me, and Engage's features could be rolled into Storyline.

PS: I have a complete review and assessment of Articulate 360 and all (yes,ALL) of its individual components and features coming out this weekend on LinkedIn.

Will post an article linking to it here also. ;)

Phil Mayor

Mark I love the idea of rolling the form based engage form based tools into Storyline, I very rarely use studio for client work anymore.

I would love it even more if the form based tools created interactions that are built using trigger, layers etc and are fully customisable.

I may be getting lazy as I get older.

Mark Shepherd

Hi Phil:

Ha, I totally agree with you and I see what you mean.

Like you, I may be just getting old and grumpy (?), but when I see a feature set that could be easily added as a toolbar or a bunch of buttons in Storyline, I start seeing Visual Studio visions and sections of namespaces and VB/C# programming code in my head.

I spoke with Tom recently about not seeing some Rise features in Storyline.  My favorite Rise feature is the little mini-tracking progress globe at the far right of each Lesson and Topic.

Unfortunately, Storyline does not have this little capability, as it's hard-wired into Rise's core template design.

Not a biggie and very understandable, but a small disappointment nonetheless.

Rachel Craig

Hi, Phil,

A progress bar would be fantastic in Storyline! I'm about 95% sure our company is sticking with Storyline 2, but I would love to see this Rise feature (the mini tracking globe) in Storyline.

Would it be easy enough to create a progress bar like this now in Storyline synced up to a video? I just uploaded a bunch of videos to our LMS, and would love to have a progress bar for the video, but don't want our users to scrub through the video either. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark Shepherd

That's true, we've seen a number of interesting ideas and suggestions for progress bar development and usage within Storyline 2 in the community to date.

Agreed in your hope that one day we will see a number of different progress style indicators as built in elements usable within Storyline, much like the Dials feature was added to 360, perhaps.

Will Findlay

One thing that would make progress bars much easier to build would be if there were some hard-wired variables in Storyline that were self-referencing. For example things like "CurrentSlideinCurrentScene", "TotalSlidesinCurrentScene", "TitleOfCurrentSlide", "NumberOfCurrentScene" and so on. So hopefully they will build that kind of thing into Storyline 3.

Mark Schwartz
Mark Shepherd

Other than having unlimited storage (vs. 150 GBs, which is hardly a tiny amount), I'd say Articulate still needs to convince me of the value of using Teams vs. Individual Licensing. 

HI Mark,

Here is a link to the Teams page which describes some of the Teams features: https://articulate.com/360/teams. Allow me to provide some additional color based on several of our new 360 Teams customers feedback to me and where they see value:

• Seat management - company assigned administrators will be able to allocate seats on a dynamic (as needed) basis.  So let's assume you have a team of 30, but at any given time, only 20 people will be actively authoring courses.  Buy a Teams subscription for 20 seats.   The admin(s) can rotate seats by adding/removing users via email.  This provides mich greater value utilization of the services.  And with simple to use tools like Rise, Studio 360, Preso, and Peek (which used with Review is already changing how we do business internally) the potential user base of SMEs and knowledge workers greatly expands.  Those infrequent authors might not be able to justify an individual plan, but as a Teams user, this becomes a very practical option. 
  • Billing/budgeting - orgs like the ability to plan for and pay a single annual invoice for all Teams seats. This reduces their administrative burden. And if new Teams seats are added during the year to an active Teams subscription, that seat is invoiced on a co-terminus basis, to reflect for the remaining term in the Teams subscription.  
  • Flexibility - if someone leaves the org or company, that seat can be removed and assigned to someone else.  Further, if supplemental or contractor resources are needed, the admin can grant temporary access to the Teams subscription during that period. 

Please contact our success team at success@articulate.com or your local reseller if we can further help you decide if Articulate 360 Teams is right for you. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.