Articulate 360

Nov 09, 2016

I am confused by this new Articulate 360 and what it means for Articulate Storyline. Does this mean that no further development will occur on Articulate Storyline 2, standalone version? Will there ever be an Articulate Storyline 3? What about people who bought a platinum licence with an upgrade option who do not want to go to Articulate 360? Will they get a refund on the upgrade portion or will they be forced to go to 360 if they want to benefit from their upgrade purchase?

While I see that there is benefit, especially for new customers, to 360, I am still not sure that it is worth mine and my company's money to take a perpetual licence and change it to a subscription for what I perceive to only be minor feature enhancements.

I am open to be shown why the expense would be worth my while?

269 Replies
Adam Hain

My opinion is that there should only be one current version of SL2 (or SL3).  Users can then choose if they want the 360 subscription with the extra software and templates or just the perpetual (or subscription) SL2 standalone.   Having multiple divergent versions is very hard on users who have perpetuals and 360 licenses or on people trying to collaborate using the two differing versions.   

It also makes the people with perpetuals feel like they have been downgraded. 

With Adobe CC users can subscribe to just Photoshop/Lightroom or the whole CC package.  But either way there is only one current version of Photoshop. 

We really like the new features in 360, but if a collaborator chooses not to upgrade, that collaboration is no longer feasible.

Joseph Ferraro

With perpetual licenses there always has to be new major versions, (at least over the course of a reasonable amount of time) otherwise the cashflow just isn't there to justify regular updates and enhancements.

That's why SaaS models (like Adobe CC or Articulate 360) are increasingly where the future is going.

Provided Articulate could lower their annual rates (based on years between major versions, about 50% less), this would work out great. I think they'd have everyone on board in a matter of months.

Adam Hain

I totally understand the need for cashflow and paid upgrades.  I just think they should make the 2 options compatible. Give subscribers the extra software, but keep the current version of Storyline the same for both tracks.  If there are major features added then make it a paid upgrade if needed, but allow perpetual users to have the current version of the software.  

Erin Librarian

I was excited, too, until I discovered SL2 files and 360 files are not compatible.  So, if you need to work cross-platform, you can't.   If you want to help a colleague with 360 and you have SL2, you cannot share/open/examine files.  Very disappointing for two versions released so closely together.  Looks like these will continue to be developed along divergent paths.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Matthew,

I haven't seen or heard those plans yet, but it's definitely something we'll pass along to our product team! The message would likely be something you'd see when trying to open a file in Storyline 3 if it included the features specific to just Storyline 360. It wouldn't likely be something you'd see as a part of publish since there is no way to reverse engineer the published output. 

Erin Librarian

Right.  And I appreciate people chiming in.  We bought SL2 less than 5 months ago.  At no time was 360 marketed to us as the next version or updated version of SL2 -- 360 was presented as a subscription-based (cloud-ish) platform allowing access to all SL2 had to offer, plus additional content (Rise, etc.).  Hence my surprise, particularly since there seemed to be emerging discussion of a possible, though not guaranteed, SL3.  Others to whom I have spoken were told that no further development on a software-based, perpetual license version would take place, which is why they decided to subscribe to 360 (I spoke to them today, and they were shocked SL3 was released, and had no idea it would be based on their discussions with Articulate sales).  So, lots of confusion on the end-user side.

Justin Grenier

Hi Erin!

You’re absolutely right that Articulate 360 is a separate offering than our perpetual license software.  We are definitely encouraging folks to try out Articulate 360 because we think they’ll benefit from the continuous updates and all the other helpful apps and resources.  But we’re continuing to support our perpetual license software, and we’ve shared our plans to release Storyline 3 in 2017 in many forum discussion like this one. If anyone has questions that they’d like to discuss with us further, please get in touch with our success team by emailing success@articulate.com.

Joe Frascella

Let's cut to the chase here, can we assume that both Storyline 3 and the version of Storyline available via 360 are and will remain the same, until the next major update?  And that the added benefit of 360 are the additional features such as the images, templates, and other authoring tools.  

It would not make much sense, from a developer standpoint, to develop and maintain two different products on two different update paths.

Our group likes the new features available in the newest version of SL, but we don't currently have any need for all the extras available in the 360 package.  We largely create our own templates, build our own graphics and have images available to us through Adobe CC and BigStock, so many of the "extras" are unnecessary to us at this time.  

And because we work with other vendors, that don't necessarily build in SL, we use a 3rd party online course review product that will accept SCORM packages from a variety of authoring tools, so we also don't have need for the review tool, since it only handles SL projects.

Garry Hargreaves

Thanks Joe, summed up beautifully. I would add, when did offering webinars / tutorials become a feature. Is that just marketing?

Just starting using SL3 via my pmp...it was interesting the pressure by my local Articulate reseller to upgrade (upgrade is a relative term in this case) to SL360. I recanted all the same points you have raised. Thx G

Justin Grenier

Hi, Joe.

Storyline 3 is the same as Storyline 360 but without Articulate 360 subscription features, such as Content Library and Articulate Review. This means you can open Storyline 3 and Storyline 360 projects interchangeably, which is great when you’re collaborating with other Storyline users.

As Storyline 360 continues to evolve, there will be new features that exist only in Storyline 360. This means you won’t be able to open Storyline 360 projects in Storyline 3 if they include new features specific to Storyline 360. You’ll still be able to open Storyline 360 projects in Storyline 3 if they don’t have Storyline 360–specific features, and you’ll always be able to open Storyline 3 projects in Storyline 360.

Tim Danes

A quick update for me ...
I originally said I would never update to 360.  I had no reason to (i.e. I wanted the Big Mac, not the full McMenu), and the cost was quite prohibitive (and still is).  
However, I create quite advanced products in Articulate, and have found that I've 'hit the ceiling' with performance and capability.  

After long conversations with professionals, I discovered that the 360 HTML5 functionality/coding had been rewritten from the ground up.  This got me curious, and after testing side-by-side, my client responded with:
"Wow – we are back on track now. Articulate 360 is the bomb."

I now have Articulate 360.  I still think it's overpriced for what I use it for (I only use Articulate 360 and the Review tools), but it means my products are usable again, and my clients love it.

Keep the conversations going ... critical evaluation is part of the path to continuous improvement :)

PS> I also still use Articulate 2, because I continue to run collaborative projects with clients, and 360 is priced way beyond what is useful for these types of clients.

Allain McCallum

This is what cable TV companies and cellular companies have done for years in bundling and selling packages. It is being deregulated in Canada so you pick the items you want and pay for those. I would be more inclined with a subscription plan for 360, if it was a la cart, and I could pick the items I wanted at $500 a year rather than having everything thrust upon me including items I would never use at $1000. It's only a great deal if the offerings have value.

MT Holland

I was told a few days ago (now it's August 2017!) by a customer service rep that a decision has not been made as to whether there will be a new release of Studio and Storyline perpetual at all. Please clarify. After using Articulate Studio as my sole elearning dev tools for over ten years, it looks like I'm going to be priced right out of Articulate altogether, unless there will be a new perpetual version, or you allow users to select from a menu of tools for an affordable subscription-based solution.

Mark Schwartz

Hi MT.  

Thanks for adding your voice to the conversation. Customer feedback is instrumental in developing our product roadmap. Based on overwhelming customer demand, we've been focused on delivering continuous updates to Articulate 360 apps and content. In fact, today we just released a bunch of new features to Articulate 360.

That being said, we are paying close attention to demand for perpetual products and have not yet made a decision on future releases.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.