Articulate Storyline 360: Cycle between 3 image states

May 23, 2022

Hello! I am trying to make a dress up game where students can click arrows to cycle between 3 different items of clothing. I have each item as an image state, and I have the triggers set to transition from 1 state to the next. However, it won't work, and seems to be transitioning between all 3 states at once, instead of moving from one to the next. I've attached my proof of concept to see if anyone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

1 Reply
Walt Hamilton

The problem is the way SL handles triggers. When you click an item, every trigger that happens when the item is clicked is executed. So When you click one arrow, the first trigger changes the state to the second state if it is already first state. Then the second trigger changes the state to the third state if it is already second state, which it is, since the first trigger changed it to second state.

What you need is an impartial, independent arbiter to keep track of what state the object started, not what state it is in now. The value of an arbiter that is independent is that you only change it once, no matter how many times you change the state of the object.

See the attached sample to see one way of using a variable as the arbiter.