Articulate Storyline Update 5 : 3.5.16548.0 - Problem with text in multiple awnser question

Jan 16, 2019

Ok this is my problem : 

I have a multiple awnser question that look in Articulate Storyline like that, the text is align : 

When I do a preview, the text is not aligned 

This is the information about text boxes : 

I will provide you the part of file in attachment...

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing that file and screenshots with me. I took a look and saw the same thing, so I first tried importing it into a new Storyline file to resolve any possible corruption issues and all the answer choices disappeared when I did so. That leads me to believe there may be some corruption within the original file, to begin with.

Can you tell me a bit more about how you created this file: 

• Are you files stored/edited locally adhering to the guidelines here?
  • When you set up the answer/question text did you manually edit each answer text box or set the entire thing?
  • Did you set up the question template first and then add text, or manually move the text boxes after adding the text? 
  • Are you entering in text manually or copying/pasting from somewhere?

Those details will help as I try to recreate the issue and work towards a solution! 

Steve Prud'Homme

I do not understand how does it make it so easy to corrupt a storyline file. 
Moreover, we are often told this reason. Well, I will answer your questions:

Are you files stored/edited locally adhering to the guidelines here? YES

When you set up the answer/question text did you manually edit each answer text box or set the entire thing? YES did not have a choice because the text was setup to 

Did you set up the question template first and then add text, or manually move the text boxes after adding the text? YES, because the text was too small. I send you the original template created by our multimedia integration team.

Did you set up the question template first and then add text, or manually move the text boxes after adding the text?  Manually move the text boxes after adding the text? 

Are you entering in text manually or copying/pasting from somewhere? 
We use storyboards in word and yes we copy the text from Word to Storyline.

I redid the question from 0, that is by using the right button, "New slide", "Noted question", instead of using a slide in: "My templates" and d 'go select the model multiple question answers, and it worked:

BEFORE

AFTER

On the other hand, I wanted to share with you what I discovered.

Like most instructional designers, I do storyboards in Word, items of the question in my storyboard.

This is a bulleted list. When I copy an item in the item entry form here is what it gives:

Although the form appears to be a pure text field, it retains the layout settings.
If I remove in the form the dot, it makes a withdrawal from the first line:

To fix this problem, in Word convert my text to text without a smart list and also remove any space before otherwise it does problems when I copy and paste.

And that is when all these conditions are fulfilled that I have no problem ...
It's still binding ... lol

One of the ways is also to copy in Notepad, the text becomes pure text and then stick in Storyline

My question is why is this question entry form not in pure text? This makes the user confused because in the form he sees a text without layout properties, but when you go back to the slide you realize that the layout properties have remained.

Crystal Horn

Hi Steve.  Thanks for sharing with the community your process for removing the formatting of your pasted text in Form View.  The text fields in Form View offer some formatting options, so as you noticed, text will retain the formatting from the original source when pasted.  The slide preview on the right reveals what the text will look like on the slide.

Unless you want to include specific formatting from a copied source, you stated the solution:  Use unformatted text when pasting your answers into the form or directly on the slide.

Steve Prud'Homme

Hello again, I think that if in form mode it is possible to keep some elements of layout should they appear in the same mode is the form mode. Otherwise, I think the form mode should remain in pure text mode. Many instructional designers use Microsoft Word to develop the storyboard, when copying paste with Microsoft Word, the text retains its layout properties, if you find it advantageous when copying that these properties are kept, display- it. Otherwise, do not allow it because it causes unhelpful confusion.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.