Assets correct on timeline, incorrect on preview/publish

Dec 10, 2015

Using the trick given here, we've been updating assets in a .story file (after backing up, of course, since Steve points out that it isn't supported).  While this is a tremendously helpful trick, we're running into some odd issues.

On the timeline, audio that we've altered is correct, and images that have been retouched with Adobe Photoshop are sounding and appearing exactly as expected.  But when we preview the slide or publish the project, we find that the changes don't appear.  We hear the original version of the audio, and see the original version of the images.   (In case it's relevant, we're using Update 7 : 1509.1408.)

This doesn't happen on every slide, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it works and when it doesn't.  Our editing does not change duration of the audio or dimensions of the images, so we can rule out that problem.  We edit directly from WinZip, which automatically prompts to save the changed temporary file back in place, so that's also not a problem.  We've tried the following:

• Saving/closing project, exiting/relaunching Storyline 2, and reopening project
• Previewing each slide individually
• Previewing each asset within the slide
• Rechecking the assets inside the archive (.story file)
• Saving to a new filename

From observing Storyline 2's behavior, I'm inclined to think it is somehow caching the old assets (perhaps to improve performance).  If that's the case, I'm wondering if there's a file in the .story that might be deleted to force Storyline 2 to rebuild anything it has cached.

Has anyone else tried direct editing of the assets like this?  If so, what has your experience been?

4 Replies
C. L. Norman

I can rule out the browser, since assets would appear one way on the timeline and differently when that slide was previewed inside Storyline 2.  And it was worked on locally—did catch that helpful suggestion elsewhere.  :-)

What did work, albeit a bit arduous, was to rename the .story file to .zip and then extract the contents of the /story/media folder to a separate folder.  Once we had those assets separated out, we went back into the project and replaced each bad asset (via Change Picture or Change Audio) with one of the ones we had extracted.  Worked like a charm, but was quite time-consuming.

I did also note there's a .bin file in the /story/media directory that appears to be roughly the same size as all the media assets combined.  I'm wondering if that is some sort of cache for all media assets.  I tried both deleting the file and replacing it with an empty duplicate before renaming the project file back to .story, but neither seemed to have any effect.

So definitely make backups and proceed with caution when tinkering with this method!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.