Aticulate 360 and anti-virus?

Jun 02, 2017

Hi,

Can anyone explain why anti-virus needs to be switched off to install 360 please?

TC

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tony,

We've heard and seen some anti virus software (such as Norton antivirus) detecting the installation packaged as a malicious script and causing issues with the download and installation. 

This problem occurs because the Norton Antivirus script detection is ON, which identifies ALL scripts as malicious by default. Be assured: this is by design and there is no virus in the MsiExec.exe program. Moreover, please note that the MsiExec.exe is a program supplied by Microsoft for software installations.

Articulate has confirmed that this is normal behavior and that many other software packages, including packages from Microsoft, have had to deal with this Norton error, too.

We expect that Symantec will resolve this "false positive" in the future as they have done with other situations like this in the past.

Two possible work-arounds are offered:

1. From Norton Antivirus, choose Authorize this script or Authorize this Activity Once to allow the installation to finish.
  2. Temporarily shutdown Norton Antivirus before installing SecurLock

Are you having problems installing Articulate 360? Our Support Engineers are happy to work with you one-on-one! 

Tony Chilvers

Hi Ashley,
Thanks for the reply. I understand there isn't a virus in the install of Articulate software, I have been installing it for quite a few years now(8 or 9 iguess?) and have never had a problem.

The query came about from one of my colleagues. I am admin for several LMS systems, Totara/Moodle/SAP LSO/SAP Success Factors etc.

We have tested Articulate package extensively in our platforms and it has become our recommended tool for eLearning development. When I suggested Storyline to someone interested in creating their own content, their IT team questioned why AV would need to be switched off.

If they still have questions, I will point them to the Support Engineers for assistance.

TC

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.