Audio/Animation Out of Sync When Published (Storyline 360)

Jun 13, 2019

I haven't found a discussion on this yet so I'm posting. Need a solution incredibly fast.

I've been using Articulate Storyline 360 for years and have never had this problem until the last couple days. I am publishing our latest compliance training and testing on our LMS when I discovered the timing for some of the slides were off. Assuming I'd forgotten to fix something, I went back to the Storyline file. However, there isn't anything to fix.

The slides work when I click the Play button on the Timeline. The slides work when I use the Preview option. The slides work when I test them on Articulate Review. However, when I publish to HTML5 using the Modern Browser, some of the slides become out of sync. When I open on my desktop or run from the LMS, the effected slides, the audio and animations are running at different speeds. The the beginning of a 60 second slide, they are noticeably off (animation is lagging behind) and by the end of the slide, the audio ends 8-10 seconds ahead of the animation.

This "bug" is in every one of my new lessons that have been announced to the entire company to launch Sunday night.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a workaround? (I'm going to try to make the audio and slide to start at the exact same time - currently the audio starts .5-1.0 seconds after the start of the slide.)

Appreciate anyone's insights into this!!

18 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are running into with your courses.

I'm not seeing any similar reports, but it'd be great if we could take a closer look.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Ren Gomez

Hi Nicholas,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into this issue as well. There could be several reasons why your audio is not syncing with the animation, though you mentioned your scenario is quite similar to that of the author. 

If you're experiencing this in your LMS, you may want to try testing the file in a different environment, such as SCORM Cloud, to see if the issue is LMS specific.

Our support team can also help with this, as well as take a closer look at your file to nail down the culprit. Feel free to share your file here!

Nicholas Johnson

Greetings,

Here is a copy of the file I am working on.

Respectfully,

Nicholas Johnson
Training Analyst
Operations Technical Training
RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co.
Work: (336) 741-0887

[A picture containing object, clock Description automatically generated]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information. It is intended for the use of only the named recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

Ren Gomez

Hi Nicholas,

It looks like you replied by email, so your attachment didn't make it to the discussion. No worries, though! I've opened a case on your behalf to connect you with a support engineer who can help. Please share your .story file with us using your personal upload link here.

Also, your contact information came through as well. This Peek video will show you how to edit it out if you’d like!

Cecilia Pettersson

I have almost the same problem. But the out of synch problem is already seen when I preview in Articulate Storyline 3. I have several slides in this project that works fine but this one slide is out of synch in sound/animation. When I play the timeline everything is in synch. When I preview or publish this one slide is out of synch. The out of synch seems to be arbitrarily different every time. I have changed the audiofile twice. I have copy pasted the content from the slide and put it on a new slide and added a new audifile. The problem persists. What to do?!

Ren Gomez

Hi Cecilia,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing details of what you're experiencing! It sounds like the audio synch appears different every time you preview or publish.

I appreciate you taking the time to troubleshoot this. From here, I'm going to enlist our Support Engineers' help, so we can best troubleshoot what's happening behind the scenes. You should receive an email from us with a link to upload your file. Once we receive it, we'll begin testing and get back to you as soon as possible!

Mackenzie Allen

Hi, I am having the same issue with all of my files when I publish to the review site, and when publishing as a SCORM file. The animations are synced perfectly with the narration in Storyline, but when it is published, the syncing is off by several seconds. The syncing issue seems to change each time I republish for review, where some slides will have corrected themselves without me doing anything, while other slides seem to get worse. Could this be an issue with the number of times I publish or save? Should I try resaving the file and republishing it as a new review item (however, this would change the link that people continually use, which I would like to avoid). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Becca Levan

Thanks for reaching out, Mackenzie!

I'm sorry to hear your animations aren't syncing after publishing to Review 360 and your LMS. Happy to help troubleshoot!

Is this only happening with one specific Storyline file? If so, I'd start by importing the slides into a new blank Storyline file, then republish to Review and your LMS to see if that helps.

NOTE: You'll want to make sure you select the Publish a new version of an existing item option when republishing and select the correct course from the dropdown. This way, the shared link won't be affected:

If you still see issues with the animations, connect with one of our support engineers here so they can lend a hand!

Mackenzie Allen

Thank you. Unfortunately, this is happening with all of my storyline files that include narration (currently working on 7 separate courses). I have tried to resave the project, and have published to a new review site, as well as updating an existing item, but the problem always persists. I will try the import function and contact a support engineer. 

Sherry Rose

Hello! We are developing in Storyline 3 and have the recurring problem of Animations lagging behind Audio - in CD/LMS Only.  We have had this problem before and reinstalled Storyline 3.  Since the last reinstall, we use little animation (fades/fly-in) on images. This fixes the problem somewhat; however, Storyline provides a much better learning tool with animation.  Our development PC has 16 GB of RAM and over 50GB free of storage.  Files have been Saved As and Imported and the problem persists.  Can you please advise if there is a solution, or if one is provided on a case-by-case basis?  Thank you. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing that you're experiencing a similar issue.

I was able to take a look at the previous cases for the folks here and I can see that Nicholas just shared his file with our team and an uninstall/reinstall was shared with Cecilia.

I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Jose Tansengco

Hi Jenna, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into a similar issue. I'll be glad to help!

We aren't seeing this issue being reported by majority of our users, so there's a chance that the issue is file specific. With that being said, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at the behavior? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Norman,

We haven't identified a single cause for the behavior described in this thread. Possible causes for the audio delay could range from issues encountered during publishing to problems with the hosting environment. It's best to have us check your project file so we can properly test the behavior you're experiencing, and we'll be sure to delete it when we're done.

Please open a case here to get in touch with our support team privately.