Audio gets cut off

Nov 06, 2016

Here is a bug that drives me nuts ...

I build out the slides and interactions and add visual objects first based on my storyboard. Then I go back and insert the audio files (narration) which I post-produce separately. 

When I insert an audio file into a slide, it is easily the longest object on the timeline and it extends the timeline to the duration of the audio file.

When I do this, more often than not it chops a half second off the audio that is inserted into the timeline.  It does not chop the original file, just what is inserted into the timeline. If I edit a the audio track in the timeline audio editor, and add a second of silence and save it, it restores the chopped audio.

How about a fix for this guys?  It is incredibly time consuming (and frustrating) to have to constantly do this "workaround."

13 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Bruce.  I'm sorry you've had to use a workaround because of this behavior.  Is the audio being cut off for every audio file that you insert?  Also, is it specific to this .story file?

Our QA folks have investigated an issue where certain .mp4 files have been cut at the very end, but it is not happening consistently with every file.  Would you be able to share your .story and your original audio file for us to do some testing?  

Thanks for pointing this out!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Stacy,

Are you using Storyline 360? We had a similar issue where audio is cut-off or does not play when it's followed by a slide with an image and the Jump to trigger on the Prev button is set to the slide with the audio in the HTML5 output and that was fixed in the last update to Articulate 360.

If you're still running into a similar issue, can you share a copy of your .story file here with us? 

Janelle  Metz

Hi Ashley, I would like to share a file for you to test concerning audio being cut-off when a slide changes. I have all the AS 360 updates and I have tried a work around  adding extra time to teh beginning of the audio but I'm still getting cut-offs when the slide starts. How can I share a sample privately?

Janelle

Calvin Lo

Been using Storyline for a while and first time I encountered this. So what happens is, I'm reviewing a slide, pause it, write on a Word document, go back to the slide after a few minutes. When it gets to the end, the audio gets cut off and it will advance to the next slide. 

When I go back again and play it normally, audio was fine.

I think what happened is during the pause, the audio is still running in the background but at a very slow rate. 

I'm using Storyline 3 and pause a slide for maybe 10 minutes for good measure, when you play it and reach the end, the audio will likely be cut off.

Katie Riggio

Hey there, Calvin. Really sorry you've come across this audio issue, and thanks for walking us through the process!

Would you be able to share your .story file as well as the original audio one? Simply pop those files into this discussion by using the Add Attachment link in your reply, or you can share them privately with me here! I'd like to dig into them and give those steps a try to replicate the cut-off behavior.

Looking forward to lending a hand!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.