Audio issues in Mac on layered screens- Storyline v2

Hey all-- I'm authoring in Storyline v2. All screens have audio. Some are mp3 files, and some audio is embedded into .mp4 video or .mov video files. Everything in Windows works perfectly. On Mac, however, some screens have audio issues when there are clickable buttons/layers on one screen... for example: screen opens and base-layer audio plays, all good; user clicks button which opens a new layer which does NOT have an audio file in the layer, but the base-layer audio plays again; OR, user clicks button which opens a new layer which DOES have an audio file in the layer, and both the base-layer audio AND layer audio both play at the same time. Only happens on Mac. I've tried numerous combinations of the usual settings... hiding base layer, hiding base-layer video on layers if the base-layer audio is part of a video, tried separating audio from the video file vs leaving them in one file, etc etc. Arg! I'm starting to think it might have to do with .mp4 vs .mov files when audio is embedded in video, but not sure. Testing on latest version of Chrome. Anything anyone can tell me about Macs and audio issues when using layered screens would be greatly appreciated! 

Chuck

3 Replies
Ali Goulet

Hey Chuck!

Sorry this is causing so much frustration. I've seen a similar issue that was HTML5 output specific, but haven't run into one that was Mac specific. Being a Mac user myself, I'm super curious here.

I'm happy to help track down the issue, but I'll need your help. I have a few questions to start with:

  1. Just to verify- you're seeing these issues when viewing the published output in the latest Google Chrome on a Mac, correct?
  2. Are you running the latest update for Storyline 2, update 12? If not, you can download it right over here.
  3. Are you viewing the Flash output or the HTML5 output on Windows and Mac?
  4. Where are you uploading your published output to when testing on the web?

Also- can you share a copy of your unpublished .story project file here so I can do some testing? You can add it as an attachment right to a comment in the thread.

Thanks for letting us know you're hitting this! 

Chuck DuSablon

Hi Ali-- thanks so much for your reply! Answers to your questions below:

1. Just to verify- you're seeing these issues when viewing the published
output in the latest Google Chrome on a Mac, correct? *[Correct]*
2. Are you running the latest update for Storyline 2, update 12? If not,
you can download it right over here .
*[Thanks, I will make sure I have this.]*
3. Are you viewing the Flash output or the HTML5 output on Windows and
Mac? *[Viewing HTML5 output]*
4. Where are you uploading your published output to when testing on the
web? *[Course is being tested from an LMS called Knowledge Anywhere...
a smaller company, don't know much about their platform.]*

As of today, it looks like we've solved the issue... however, I am not
completely convinced. Plus I used methods to fix it that really aren't the
most efficient or traditional-- separating the screens into individual
pieces. So anything you might be able to tell me would be great. I wish I
could load the source file, but the course is for a government agency, and
I'd be worried about them knowing I sent it to anyone. I understand if that
limits your ability to help! Anything you know about mp4 vs mov files,
using video and audio combined into mp4 vs leaving audio file separate...
whatever is causing overlapping audio on Mac when viewing layered screens.

Thanks again.
Chuck

Ali Goulet

Hey Chuck! 

Thanks for all of that information here, really helpful! I'm glad you were able to find a workaround for now, but we're also happy to continue working on this with you.

I totally understand the privacy issue- if you'd like to submit the file directly to our Support Engineers privately, even if it's a stripped down version of the file, you can do so right over here. They can also sign an NDA if necessary! 

Once we can take a look at what's occurring first hand, we can figure out the next best steps for you.

I would also recommend testing that course out in SCORM Cloud to see if the same thing happens there. That'll give a good indication of whether it's a file related issue or something happening within your LMS.

Keep me posted!