Audio Not Working on First Slide of Published Course (Storyline 360)

May 07, 2018

Hi,

The audio isn't working in my first slide of a published course from Storyline 360.  It works fine from preview mode.  When published, it works if I navigate back to the slide from the menu after I've viewed it once.  There doesn't seem to be a problem on any other slides. 

This happens when publishing both to SCORM 1.2 and AICC.  I have the most recent 360 updates, have saved the file on a local drive, and am publishing to a local drive.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

39 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Samantha and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Sorry to hear that you're running into a similar issue.

We have not released any updates for Studio '13 at this time, but based on our findings shared here, you're right, it seems like it should be working as expected.

Are you viewing the published content locally or in the LMS environment as your learners would?

Let me know what your further testing finds and feel free to share your Articulate Package if you need us to take a look.

Lynn Harrison

Could somebody please help immediately!  I have a course to launch today and all of a sudden (after months of testing), the audio didn't play on the first slide.  After reading this thread I downloaded the most current update.  Now, instead of my first slide displaying on launch the attached image displays.  If I click the play icon, my slide does display and the audio plays; however, I do not want my users to see the play icon upon launch.

Dayn Wilkins

Hi Lynn

I don't like the look of the play button either, so what I tend to do is add a slide before my first audio slide. On the new slide I just add a graphic/message of my own, saying something like "This module has audio, please plug in your headphones or speakers" and a "Begin/Next/Continue" button. Since the new slide doesn't have any audio, you don't get the standard play button screen and audio plays normally on the next slide.

Katie Riggio

Hi, Francois. I'm sorry you're running into that!

A few clarifying questions to help us unlock our next steps:

• What version of Storyline are you using? You can find this detail by clicking on the Help tab, then About Storyline.
  • Where is the course hosted?
  • If you're able to share the .story file with me for testing, that would be gold! You can send it privately by using this link. I'll delete it after troubleshooting!
Vincent Scoma

Hi Pete,

Thank you for letting us know! 

While we did address a fix in Update 17, preventing media from auto-playing is now the intended behavior for most web browsers. For example, as of Chrome 70+, learners may see a play button when they launch or resume a course with audio on the first slide. They just need to click the play button to start the course, and audio will play as expected.

What might help is to try Dayn's workflow of adding a slide before the audio slide. This will allow the audio slide to play as intended, and a play button will not be present.

For more details on this, these guides should help point you in the right direction:

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Pete,

Thanks for testing and providing your feedback.

It does sound like something is going on with your project. With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.