Audio Triggers

Nov 18, 2019

Hi Everyone, I'm not sure why but what i've been doing for months no longer works. I want to create a trigger so when you click on the button audio plays. I've set the triggers to play media - the selected file- when user clicks button. However now it plays straight away when slide is open (also when you click) I don't understand why it's playing immediately when the slide opens, i don't want it to.

Thanks 

7 Replies
Montse

HI Joe - 

Storyline gives you a visual cue that indicates how your audio files are set to play. If you see the audio icon, that means your audio is set to play when triggered. When you see the waveform, that means your audio will autoplay when the slide loads. 

Hopefully that helps you troubleshoot your project.

Rachel Thorn

I have this same problem!

I want to know:

1. How does Storyline decide whether to display audio as a waveform or as an icon? Audio files which I have created in exactly the same way on the same slide will appear as one or the other and I can't predict which.

2. How do you make a change so that audio that's appearing as a waveform instead appears as an icon so that it only plays when triggered and not when the timeline starts?

Lauren Connelly

Hi Rachel!

Great question! 

When you record narration or import an audio file for a slide or layer, it'll appear as a waveform with a specific duration in the timeline panel.

When you record narration or import an audio file for a Play media trigger, it'll appear as an audio clip without a waveform that spans the entire duration of the slide in the timeline panel. This is just a visual indicator that there's an audio clip for the slide, but it's controlled by a trigger, not the timeline.

Tips for working with triggered audio:

• You can still see the waveform for triggered audio. Just double-click the audio object in the timeline panel to open the audio editor.
  • If you delete the Play media trigger, the audio clip will remain and will be converted to a waveform with a specific duration in the timeline panel.
Vincent Scoma

Hi Rachel,

Happy to help here! 

When importing a file using the Play Media Trigger workflow, the file initially appears as a waveform clip. After the trigger has been established for that audio file, it changes to show as an audio clip

As Lauren mentioned, the reason for this is that it serves as a visual indicator. There's now an audio clip for the slide that is controlled by a trigger, not the timeline.

Vincent Scoma

Hi Rachel,

Happy to help here! 

When importing a file using the Play Media Trigger workflow, the file initially appears as a waveform clip. After the trigger has been established for that audio file, it changes to show as an audio clip

As Lauren mentioned, the reason for this is that it serves as a visual indicator. There's now an audio clip for the slide that is controlled by a trigger, not the timeline.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.