Beginner Help with Interactive/Quiz in Articulate 360

Nov 02, 2017

Rank beginnerSL360 user here. I've plundered tutorials and discussions, I've tried out templates, but I'm still struggling.

Here's what I am trying to achieve:

Every few slides, I want a short interactive in the form of a non-graded multiple choice quiz. It's all narrative, only one correct answer. Meant to be exploratory, getting them interacting with the material.

If learner picks one of the 3 wrong answers:

* They cannot advance to the next topic in the lesson.

*I want to give them feedback about why that answer is incorrect. Each of the 3 wrong answer has UNIQUE feedback. Beyond a generic, "Incorrect, try again." I want an explanation of why a particular answer is incorrect.

-For one, it might be, "Sorry, that is incorrect. Platelets are responsible for clotting, not for immunity."

-Another might be, "Sorry, that is incorrect. Red blood cells deliver oxygen to the tissues, but do not protect against infection."

*I want the learner to continue to return to the quiz stem and have to answer it correctly, then be presented with the "That's correct! White blood cells fight infection." feedback, THEN be able to progress.

Actual graded quizzes will come later in the lesson.

I keep wading into tutorials, working in both ppt and storyline, choosing templates, typing into the form view of quiz slides without success. The quiz templates I've used do not allow for unique feedback for each incorrect answer. Moreover, I don't have a sense that the code is doing what I want in terms of requiring a re-attempt and correct answer to progress.

Thank you for any help you can give a newbie. I'm new to the software, and new to the vocabulary.

4 Replies
Shalom Mangalindan

Hi Tracy,

That's a good idea to keep the learners engaged in the course material. I find that Storyline is rich with features for interactivity in designing courses - quizzes are one of them.

Now, to customize your feedback message, you can do it in a number of ways.

• Type the Feedback Message on Slide View

1. If you click on your Quiz slide on the slide view mode, you'll notice that there's a 'Form View' and a  'Slide View' option on the upper right-hand corner of the page:

2. Click on the Form View and here, you'll be able to type in your desired Feedback message on the 'Feedback' fields, on lower half part of the screen (those are free text fields).

• Customize Feedback layers in Slide View mode

1. If you go back to Slide View, you'll notice that your different responses/feedback to the quiz answer are actually slide layers:

2. You can click on the layers to further modify the look and feel of the feedback message (or layers), just like you would in any regular slide.

There's really a multitude of ways to customize your quiz design, and it's fun trying them on in Storyline. Hope this helps in getting you started. Let me know if you have further questions.

Oh, and as for the errors you're having in re-attempt and quiz progression, please clarify how the system is behaving versus what inputs you're doing in the slide. Thanks.

Tracy Walton

Shalom, thank you for reminding me of Form View. I appreciate your reply. I'm struggling to get it to return to the slide again and again, and I  reached out to Articulate for help, but I think it's beyond a beginner. I will need to more fully understand states and triggers, I think, to proceed. I appreciate your response!

Tracy Walton

Nicola, sorry for the delayed reply, but thank you for pointing me to Feedback by Choice. That got us started, and a bit closer to the end result. In the end I reached out to Articulate Support and it's become clear I probably need a developer to get past this beginner's hump. I appreciate your kind response!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.