Best PC System Requirements for Storline 360

Jan 10, 2019

Hello everyone.  I am a newbie Instructional Designer and I am working on learning Storyline 360 along with other software like Camstasia.  I am a Mac User, but I hate using Parallels on my Macbook  So I was looking into buying an inexpensive all in one Dell desktop.  What specifications should I get as far as RAM, processors, etc to utilize Storyline 360, Camstasia to the best of their ability. Can I do 4gb Ram or 8Gb or should I go as high as 16gb?  I only plan on using the desktop for elearning purposes. Thanks in advance for the advice.

1 Reply
Shiela Marie Marcos

Hi Shannon,

Here is an article which outlines the minimum system requirements for authoring and viewing Articulate Studio 360 courses.

CPU - 2 GHz processor or higher (32-bit or 64-bit)
Memory - 2 GB minimum
Available Disk Space - 1 GB minimum
Display - 1,280 x 800 screen resolution or higher

However, if you're going to be doing a lot of work on the system, it's best to take other things that will be running on the machine aside from Storyline. You'll have browsers open, possibly an Anti-virus / Firewall running in the background, there's also the Operating system which will eat up some of that hard drive space as well as memory. 

Going for much higher specifications than the recommended is definitely a must since Storyline / Studio are authoring apps that can tax the system the larger your project becomes. 

The best upgrade I would suggest is going for an SSD hard drive for your primary. This will drastically improve the speed at which your Operating System performs and your content is accessed and written, the size of the hard drive is something you can decide on and adjust depending on your budget. What I suggest is have an SSD drive for your Operating System and applications (your C: drive), and a secondary regular Sata drive which can be bigger because those are less expensive for your D: drive (for storage). 

Memory, is also something that I would consider going all out for, not because of Storyline or Studio's requirements, but just to make sure the PC has enough resources to handle all the applications that will be running at a given time. 8GB is adequate, 16GB is ideal but if the budget doesn't allow it, you can upgrade at a later time anyway.

With regards to the processor, this is a bit tricky. Personally I would prefer a processor with more cores and an average clock speed, rather than a processor with fewer cores and a high clock speed. Probably best to ask the vendor about how you can get the best bang for your buck in terms of processor power. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.