Blank page when publishing from Storyline 360 for IE/Flash

Aug 24, 2017

Hi all, is anyone else having trouble opening SL 360-published eLearning in Internet Explorer? In IE, we are just seeing a blank window. It's fine in Chrome of course.

Something seems to have changed in the past month or so. Older SL 360 eLearnings work fine in IE and publishing from SL2  works fine too.

Just curious. I entered a support ticket but haven't heard back yet as it's only been 2 days...

31 Replies
Ali Goulet

Hey Chris! 

Thanks so much for reaching out here. My colleague Lea sent out a reply in your case and I just wanted to relay the information here as well.

If your course won’t open in Internet Explorer, check if Compatibility View is enabled. Disable Compatibility View to see your course. Here are two methods: 

Option 1: Change Your Compatibility View Settings 

1. Click the gear icon in Internet Explorer (or click the Tools menu if it's visible), then choose Compatibility View settings. 
  2.  If the website where your course is hosted is listed in Compatibility View, select it and click Remove.
  3. Click Close, then launch your course again. If the page is still blank, try the following method. 

Option 2: Use the Developer Tools to Switch Document Modes 

1. Click the gear icon in Internet Explorer (or click the Tools menu if it's visible), then choose Developer Tools. They'll open across the bottom of your browser. 
  2. On the right side of the developer bar, you should see an icon that looks like a computer monitor and a smartphone with a number beside it. When you hover over the icon, a tooltip will say Document mode (with a number). Click the icon to display a list of Internet Explorer version numbers. 
  3. Select version 11, then launch your course again. 

Keep us posted on how that goes! 😊

Leslie McKerchie

Hi David and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Sorry to hear that you have been plagued by this issue as well. You are welcome to follow the advice that Ali shared above to avoid this issue in the meantime, but our team is working to share an update soon. I will add this thread for user impact and so that we can update here when we can.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi David, 

Great news!  We just released an update to Articulate 360, which includes a fix for the issue where Flash output wouldn't play in Internet Explorer with Compatibility View enabled.

It includes a few other important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here.

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Ali Goulet

Hey Christopher! 

Sorry you're hitting that roadblock.

The issue reported in this thread impacted the published output for Storyline 360 courses when they were viewed in IE. This was fixed in a recent update for Storyline 360- so you'll want to make sure you're up-to-date.

If you're having trouble publishing your courses, however, that sounds like you could be running into something different. 

I have a couple questions to better understand the issue you're hitting:

1. What happens when you attempt to publish a course?
  2. What settings are you using when publishing?

Let me know! 

William Butler

Good morning,

Thank you for your response. I am using the current software, which seems to have caused the problem. Attached are the results of trying to publish the course on Sumtotal LMS (screen shot 1) and the settings I used to publish (screen shot 2).

I hope we are able to find what the problem is.

Ali Goulet

Hey there Christopher,

Thanks for letting me know!

Replying via email doesn't include image or file attachments, so you'll want to pop by the thread here and add them to a comment using the Add Attachment feature like this:

And just a quick note that your email signature carried over to the thread here. No worries though! Here's how to remove it, if desired. 😊

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Hank and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Hopefully Chris is still subscribed here and will be able to chime in and help you out here. You are certainly welcome to reach out to the user directly via the 'Contact Me' option on the user profile if you do not hear back soon.

Do you experience the same issue when publishing in SCORM Cloud or is the issue limited to your LMS?

Usha Narayanan

Good-day All, in a slight panic here. We've a similar problem. tried the tips provided here

We are about to buy Articulate 360, and am trying out some earlier SL2 courses.  The published 360 works in the SCORM cloud, but only gives a blank screen from our LMS (LearnDash), in IE11, Firefox and Chrome.

Options: HTML5 with Flash fallback ; Mobile player and offline viewing disabled.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Usha.  I'm sorry you're encountering some issues with your output in Learndash.  SCORM Cloud is our standard for testing LMS content, so if it is launching in each of those browsers from that environment, we would expect it to be suitable for other systems.

Does Learndash offer any support or clues for why the output is not displaying?  

We're happy to put a second set of eyes on your project, too.  Just upload the .story file here for testing.  Thanks!

Usha Narayanan

Hello Crystal, thank you for coming back to us.

I am attaching the .story (in SL2) here.
Just an FYI:
The site is not one listed in the View Compatibility list.
We are using IE 11, so the IE version number is already 11.
We publish to HTML5/Flash fallback -( had tried just HTML5 alone too).
*note:* our customers do not use Flash.
Mobile player and offlne viewing - disabled.

And LMS is not involved yet. We are merely loading the tincan onto the host
servers and then accessing via browser, as we have been doing all this
while.
Only when is course is tested ok, is it associated with LD.

Any pointers appreciated. Attached, is the.story and a screenshot of what
we see, and the URL.
http://www.demoelaas.com/wp-content/tincans/eng360/story

Usha Narayanan

My apologies, this had been mentioned earlier. Will re-post here.

1.The site is not one listed in the View Compatibility list.
2.We are using IE 11, so the IE version number is already 11.
3.We publish to HTML5/Flash fallback -( had tried just HTML5 alone too). note:our customers do  not use Flash.
Mobile player and offlne viewing - disabled.

4.LMS is not involved yet. We are loading the tincan onto the host servers and then accessing via browser, as we have been doing all this while. Only when tested okay, is it associated with LD.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Usha,

You mentioned that it was working in SCORM Cloud and that's what I'm seeing as well, even in IE11.

If it's not working in your LMS, I'd follow up with them to compare.

My zipped published output is attached in case you'd like to test in your environment again. When I opened your course, the publish settings were not what you mentioned above.

Usha Narayanan

Hello Leslie,
Thank you very much for the help, and the .zip. Couple of things.

1. In my haste, I provided details, but the wrong .zip. The .zip I had uploaded was the original SL2 one instead of the one published in my 360 trial version. Which is of no issue now as I have a .zip published by you, thus eliminating any errors I might have made on my side earlier.

2. The problem – ie blank screen – as I had mentioned,has nothing to do yet with any LMS. We are using WordPress, and the our courses/tincans are loaded onto the WP instance host servers and accessed via browsers (Ffox, IE, Chrome) for testing first. No LMS has been involved so far.

But, this .zip you have sent should certainly help us to narrow down where the problems are. We haven't loaded it yet as our instance is undergoing maintenance.

Thank you again, and will update if needed. I only have a few days of the trial license left !

Thank you
..Usha

Usha Narayanan

Hi Ashley,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, on what is now an urgent matter for us.

We  had had to pause this to take care of our website maintenance. We uploaded the eLAAS.zip  that Leslie sent. And it is the same problem. (please refer attached image).

The zip file was loaded onto the host services provider, Linux server, and then we access the html5 browser - I get the same results using Firefox, Chrome, IE11.  There is no LMS involved.

Earlier SL2 courses, on the same host server, works fine.  I am quite gobsmacked.

Regards

..usha

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.