9 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi SCB,

Sorry to hear about the trouble! Has anything changed with the file? Also, are you working from any external sources? If so, please try to move the project files to your local hard drive and see if that solves the problem.

1.  Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 

2. You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).

3.  Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names.

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

If the problem continues, it may be an issue with the file itself. Are you able to create a new, blank course and import the slides? If so, does the same issue happen when you preview or publish the course?

Shane Coady-Barrett

Hi Christine,

I moved the file to the C: Drive, renamed it to TM instead of Time_Management_v2, still no luck. It seems to be an issue with a particular slide.

There's only 45 Slides and the file size is only 20MB, however when I remove some of the slides it works.

I've sent the story file and submitted a case.

Thanks for your help

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Shane,

I was able to find your case (#00320991 for my reference). I did take a look at the file, just to see if I could figure out what was going on. With your original file, I attempted to preview the course and I saw absolutely nothing. I also noticed that it took quite a while for the slides to generate the preview.

I created a new, blank Storyline course and imported all of the original slides into the course. Again, it took quite a while for the slides to generate, but this time, I saw the preview. However, as soon as it loaded, I got a pop-up notification about JavaScript. Any interaction with the course caused this prompt. So, at this point I wondered if the Java may be causing the issue, or if the original file was just corrupted. 

So, I decided to try publishing the course and I uploaded it to Articulate Online for testing. This did take some time. However, the good (or should I say great?) news is that the course seems to be running quite well here. I'm not sure if you'd like me to share the link here, or not, but I will definitely include it in the case. I can also share it here, with your permission, or in a private message if you'd like.

Can you try taking the same steps and see if this works for you?

Shane Coady-Barrett

Hi Christine,

I tried creating the blank storyline project and imported the slides by copying and pasting them, and I still had the same issues! I got it down to the last slides as mentioned in the case, when they were added it stopped working. Is there another way of importing them?

So basically it's not 'broken' it just doesn't preview?

We're quite a new department so we don't have an LMS in place yet so there wasn't a way of testing it. If you could PM the link please as the company I work for wouldn't allow the material/course to be viewed outside of the business.

Kind Regards

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Shane,

The method I used for importing was a little different than yours. I closed out of the original file, and opened a new blank course. Then, I clicked on the Articulate menu in the upper left-hand corner of Storyline. I selected "Import" and "Storyline". Then, I browsed to the original file. After selecting that file, I ensured all slides were selected in the import prompt and imported the entire project over into the new one. 

The preview works fine for me, just not the interactions that are tied to JavaScript. JavaScript is not supported when previewing any courses, though, so this is normal. 

Certainly! I'll send the link in a private message in just a moment. 

Shane Coady-Barrett

Hi Christine,

Thanks for all of your help. I did try that method quickly, but it didn't work for me. I will try again properly tomorrow.

I think it may be something to do with the player, I had a previous issue with the player when using Articulate Presenter in my last job.

The version on Articulate Online has a player around it, and my original one had a transparent player.

Would it be possible to forward me a link to the .story file in a private message so that I can see if it works for me, as the course is still unfinished (as you probably noticed) and I need to continue with it's development.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Shane,

I did try to send the file through the support case, but it looks like it may be a little too large. I uploaded it on Dropbox, however and should be able to share the link with you in a private message.

I haven't made any adjustments to the player, so if this one works for you that may be the case. First, I'd like to make sure this one works for you. If it does, you may want to use "Save As" to create another instance of the file and then try to use the player features again and see if the same issue occurs.

I'll send the message with the file link now. Please let me know if you have any difficulty downloading the file.

Thanks!