9 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hey there, Lesley.  I'm also seeing blank slides for the HTML5 output on my test site.  The output file that you shared also looks different than what our normal output folders look like.  Can you tell me your process for publishing this file?  Did you make any adjustments to the published output before zipping it and uploading it here?  

Lesley Condon

Hi Crystal, 

I published it as HTML5/Flash and then saved the zip file onto my desktop. There were no other adjustments. 

I've attached the actual storyline file below. 

I still can't even preview the file on the microsoft laptop i am building the course on.  

Is there a setting in the background i am missing? 

Crystal Horn

Hey again, Lesley.  Ok, after a bit of investigating, I've identified some elements in your project that are causing issues.  The text boxes on some slide layers are crashing the preview (which is rendered in HTML5) and the HTML5 output.  Slides 1.3 and 11.1 are affected, and it is probably because one is a duplicate of the other.

I went through and previewed the different scenes of your project, and I found that previewing scenes 1 and 11 were crashing, and from there I was able to narrow it down to those slides.  I went through and deleted the layers on those slides and added them in one by one to further drill down to the offending element.

Slide 1.3:  It appears the issue begins with the text box on the Team Coordination layer.  Any layer that was duplicated from that layer, or any text box that is a copy of that particular text box will cause a crash.  The first five layers of that slide looked fine -- I could preview with those five layers intact.  Once I added in the Team Coordination layer, the preview failed.

Slide 11.1:  The Comms layer text box is the offending element here.  The first two layers look good.  Once I removed the text box and included the Comms layer in preview, it worked fine.  That's how I knew it was the text box.

So you'll want to go through those two slides and potentially rebuild the text boxes that are based upon those that I mentioned, and let us know how the HTML5 works at that point.

As to the "why," sometimes elements in your project will become corrupted, and it's terribly difficult to determine how that happened.  We have some best practices that we recommend to lessen the risk of corruption.

Let us know how you're making out!

Lesley Condon

Hi Crystal, 

You are a wizard and you must have a lot of patience. Thank you. I removed all the layers in 1.3 and rebuilt them and its all working now. The only thing i can't get to work now is the advancing to next slide once all layers have been visited. 

I've put a close button on every layer and put a trigger in there to say that once the close button is clicked then the state of the tile becomes visited, however its jumping to the next slide before the last layer actually displays. Should i have done this as a variable instead of a trigger?

 

Lesley

Crystal Horn

Ha!  Thanks, Lesley.  If only I could work my wizardly magic at home with the kids, the housework, dinner, etc etc.... :)

Since Visited is a built-in state, it is designed to execute as soon as your learners click on the shape.  It will register the shape as visited, and the trigger to jump to the next slide will fire before your layer has a chance to show.  And actually, you don't need the triggers on the layers to change those shapes to visited because it will happen automatically upon the click.  That's the beauty (and the bite) of built-in states.

So your options would include perhaps creating a custom visited state (with a different name), and using the triggers on the layers to change your shapes to that custom visited state.  Since the state change will only occur on the actual layer with the Close button, I would expect that setup to work.  Or, as you suggested, you can use a variable method and condition the trigger to jump to the next slide on the value of the variable(s).  Design choice, at that point, I'd say.

Lesley Condon

Oh wow ! That is such a lightbulb moment! I never realised about the built in stated so have always created triggers to change them. Will save myself a lot of trouble now! I have added in the fact that the next button will appear when every tile has been visited and now it works perfectly! I wasn't sure about setting up variables so i think this was the easier option! Thanks again Crystal.

Lesley