Blurred rendering of a vector shape in Storyline 360

Sep 11, 2018

Hello,

I am noticing a very strange artifact:

In the attached screenshots, the circle and the arrow are vector shapes (from the Shape pool) of articulate. The circle is crisp however the arrow is blurred as if it was a pixeled image. I did manipulate the arrow (rotated, reduced width) but it should not have any blurred effect on it because it is a vector native Storyline shape and not an incerted image. Can I do something about it? 
(I blurred the slide content around due to the non disclosure)
Many thanks!

17 Replies
Irina Poloubessov

Dear Leslie,
Thank you!
I do not have animations, I just repositioned and rotated and resized the arrow a few times, and did not touch the circle. Your shapes do not look vector-crisp to me but have a jiggsaw edges and some edges blurred.  I wonder if Storyline has Rendering problems with vector shapes too?

My problem occurs in the rendered environment in the player (I use classic one). In the Storyline editor itself I do not see any artifacts.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Irina, 

How much did you change the arrow? Trying to get a better sense of the steps you took so that we can continue testing. 

Also, you mentioned viewing it in the rendered environment - do you mean previewing, publishing, or both? Could you let me know if published, what browser(s) were you viewing it in? 

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Ashley,
Prblem with blurrines in preview and publishing. No problem in editor (please see 3 screenshots).
I resized a bit and flipped the arrow horizontally with the tools of Storyline - inside editor. It is a native vestor form to which I reduced width a bit in the Format tab of the Storyline editor.

Leslie McKerchie

Do you see the same blurriness if you take a look at the course I've attached below? I'm still having trouble reproducing this.

Does this happen in all courses for you or just this particular one?

I know you mentioned needing to blur some content above, so you are welcome to share your .story file with our team here if needed.

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Leslie,
Thank you very much!
Your file does not look blurry, but your shapes are larger. I pasted my arrow inside your file and it Looks a tiny bit blurrier. But most visible this artifact looks in my own file - I attach you mine with confidential parts removed (test.story) - so you can see in the screenshot how my arrow looks blurred next to the circle.

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Leslie,
I imported my file into your Irina.story file and the arrow is blurred, please see the screenshot.

But on your screenshot the arrow and the circle look with the same blurrines, not so contrast like in mine! This is strange :)

My colleague also sees in his Computer the arrow much blurr"er" than the circle.

Leslie McKerchie

Okay Irina, a few more questions as I'm brainstorming this:

• Is the blurriness always in the software or are you seeing this when you publish the content as well? 
  • What Operating System are you running your software on?
  • Are you using the latest update to Storyline 360? If so, have you conducted a repair of your Storyline 360 software to see if this helps?
Leslie McKerchie

Thank you so much for all of the information and images with me here.

I've opened up a support case on your behalf so that one of our support engineers can take a closer look.

We've been chatting a few days and you mention updating recently, so seems that you were having the issue prior to updating and an update will repair your software as well, so that should not be the culprit, but good thinking :)

Were you able to import your file into a new file and/or are you able to recreate this in any file?

Irina Poloubessov

Hi there,

It's been two years and many Storyline 360 updates since, and unfortunately the rendering of the very basic built-in Storyline 360 vector shapes is not getting better. Forget the curved arrows, even the straight arrow is rendered horribly blurred.
Using geometric shapes as arrows is not an option, we would like to use the lines with arrows, the way PowerPoint manages to render them crisp - a line with an arrow in the end.
I attach here the screenshot of how it is seen in the Storyline 360 editor (crisp!) versus a published or played version, and the file itself (clicking on the round icon opens the layer with an arrow).
We are helpless, as this is a major issue for us. When would this bug be fixed?
Many thanks!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Irina and Holly!

As promised, I'm here to notify you of our latest update to Storyline 360, which includes:

Fixed: Arrows and dashed lines were blurry when previewed or published.

To get the latest update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions. You can reply here or reach out to our Support Engineers directly.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.