Blurry screen recordings

Jul 19, 2019

Hello, 

I know this issue has come up a lot but I still haven't found a solution for it.
After publishing the project in Storyline my screen recordings become blurry. The original quality is perfect and in the preview in Storyline everything looks fine but after publishing the videos' quality is way too compressed so you can barely read the text in the recording. 

It's only happening with the option "show video in slide". When it's on "show video in browser window" the size of the video is fine and the file in the story_content folder is significantly larger. The publishing settings also don't seem to change anything so far.

2 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Simeon, 

It sounds like the video is scaled within the published output, and that is likely contributing to the loss in quality. I wasn't sure what version of Storyline you're using, but the best practices outlined here for Storyline 360 are good to keep in mind regardless of your version.

Similarly, this screen recording series and article on recording high-quality screencasts should point you in the right direction! 

Let us know if you have any questions after going through those resources - we're here to help (and our Support team is available 24/7 here!).

Simeon Hermann

Hi Ashley,

thanks for your answer. First, yes I'm using Storyline 360.

The article on recording high-quality screencasts helped me a lot. My story size was on default size (720x450) and my recordings were way larger. I scaled the story size up and now the video quality after publishing got better. It's not perfect since then again I'm scaling down the video inside the story but the texts are readable now. 

Maybe Storyline could use a tip inside the screen recording feature to record at the story size resolution. But again, thanks a lot for your help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.