button states?

Jun 30, 2014

Hey All,

I am working on a project that isn't difficult, but because I haven't used SL in a while it seems so confusing, but I know it isn't. Here is my dilemma:

• I have 6 buttons that jumps to the 6 slides
  • The navigation is linear so the user has to click thru 1-6
  • When on the landing slide whatever slide was visited before that can be revisited. However, when they revisit that slide anything after is again disabled. I could do this all on one slide with the 6 layers, but each button's slide is too heavy with content. Hence me having separate slides and not layers ( gosh I sound convoluted...LOl)
  • I'd like to use a true/false variable that will somehow change the state of these buttons to active all on the slides once it has been visited. is this even possible if not on the same layer? 

Maybe I am over thinking this.

Thanks.

K

10 Replies
Meryem M

Kai,

Look at this story and see if the logic can be adapted for your use.  I've put six buttons on a master slide.  The slides communicate with the master via a true/false variable. Each button (except Button 1) has an initial state of Disabled.  When the timeline starts on a slide, a variable changes from false to true.  On the master slide, the next numbered button gets a state change to Normal.    I've put set a different color on the disabled State so that you can see easily which buttons are disabled as you click through your course.

In this case the trigger order matters.  You must have the trigger to change the state of the button before the trigger on the button to "Jump To."  Otherwise, you'll have to click each button twice to get it to work.

Kai ...

Meryem M said:

Kai,

Look at this story and see if the logic can be adapted for your use.  I've put six buttons on a master slide.  The slides communicate with the master via a true/false variable. Each button (except Button 1) has an initial state of Disabled.  When the timeline starts on a slide, a variable changes from false to true.  On the master slide, the next numbered button gets a state change to Normal.    I've put set a different color on the disabled State so that you can see easily which buttons are disabled as you click through your course.

In this case the trigger order matters.  You must have the trigger to change the state of the button before the trigger on the button to "Jump To."  Otherwise, you'll have to click each button twice to get it to work.

Fantastic! Funny thing is I was halfway through it and decided to see whether there has been a response from my reply. Thanks for helping me with the logic an pushing it to the finish line

I will let you know once I get it to work flawlessly.

Kai ...

Tested it. Not working. I double checked what you had and what I have and it is on par. Very weird.

When I am on a s specific slide, the button doesn't change from disabled to normal. I'll show you what I have. I also made the buttons a button set. When it is clicked, it doesn't change to selected state. Is this something I have to add a trigger for as well? if so, won't it conflict with the current triggers? 

Meryem M

Kai, 

Take a look at the attached png.  

Each of your triggers for state change to Normal is using the wrong variable.  

Rectangle 1 should start as normal, not disabled.

I tested with my sample story, and the button set is irrelevant.  In actuality, you don't have 6 buttons.  You have 36.  So, when a button is "Selected" on slide 1, the same button won't be Selected on Slide 2.  It is a different button on a different slide.  Confusing.  

Kai ...

Wow! I totally missed that...lol! Thank you Meryem!!!!!!!! If you ever come to NYC PLEASE let me now. We can definitely meet up

90% There!!!

One last brain picking and help ;)

- How do I show the selected sate on each slide without conflicting the change to normal when timeline starts on that button? I added a trigger, but it doesn't revert back to normal.

....I am just too tired to think about this now. Sigh....

Cheers,

Kai

Meryem M

I'm so glad your project is finishing!  I've been working on a project with similar logic and buttons on the Master, so this has all been fresh in my mind.

Now, for my selected states, I cheated.  Look at the attached story.  On the 6 slides I simply pasted a "Selected" shape over the button for that slide (not on the Master).  Of course the shape isn't a button, but it doesn't need to be... we are already on that slide.  

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.