Can't hear any audio in my Storyline 360 projects now

Sep 20, 2017

I'm creating some really basic projects. I import slides, and then I import audio (.m4a format originally from Camtasia). I've followed the same procedure for the last 20 projects I've worked on, but today I'm having audio issues. I upgraded to the latest version of 36o yesterday when I got a popup notification about it.

I get no audio playback when I:

• Click the play button to preview a slide from the Timeline
  • Click the play button in the Edit Audio window
  • Preview the slide from the main menu button at the top right in the ribbon

There are no triggers set up at all, so that's not affecting audio.

The audio doesn't play back on my computer's built-in speakers (using a Dell/Windows 7 laptop), and it doesn't play back through headphones. Both worked yesterday. No other changes have been made to my computer, and no other software has been installed.

Audio from every other source I've tried works fine (system sounds, YouTube videos, the raw .m4a files, etc).

Any ideas for me? I'm dead in the water if I can't hear and edit the audio in my projects. 

10 Replies
Mindie Mosiman

I found a workaround in case anyone else is encountering this.

First I right-clicked the volume icon in my sys tray > Open Volume Meter. This showed that Articulate was only playing back through my system speakers (not my headphones), but it was also muted. When I unmuted it here, I was able to hear through my laptop speakers, but not through my headphones. Since I'm in my cube today and don't want to disturb my neighbors, I had to force it to use my headphones by disabling my system speakers (right-click volume icon > Playback Devices > right-click each thing but my headphones and select Disable).

Not fantastic, and certainly not intuitive, but at least it works for now. 

If anyone has suggestions for how to more permanently fix this (and go back to normal "play through the speakers if there's nothing else plugged in, but switch automatically to my headphones when I plug them in" behavior), I'd love to hear them!

Robert Lengacher

Lately, my team has experienced on an inconsistent basis lately too.

Audio playback while previewing from the timeline (play icon or space bar) plays through the system speakers (not our headphones).

Using the Home > Preview button (CTRL+F12) plays through our headphones as expected.

Selecting the audio clip and using the Preview option or the Audio Editor on the Audio Tools ribbon also works as expected. 

Previewing from the timeline is painful enough (one of the most requested things that most of us would like to see improved), but this makes it extremely disruptive to others in the office when we are trying 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry that you've run into this!

Our team has been testing this and it seems to be related to Flash 27 update.

We are still testing and working on some steps to help you reset the audio properties after this update, but this workaround has helped many of our users:

• disable the speakers (previous default device) via Volume > Playback Devices. This forces SL to only use the active, default and current playback device.

Hope it works for you as well and I will update this discussion soon! 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as we dug into this!

It appears that the latest Flash update 27 (although there is now a new version 27 in Beta) changed how the audio settings would work for Flash playback. The timeline preview in all versions of Storyline and Quizmaker is Flash based.

We've detailed out some steps here on how to fix this for Flash, and this is a behavior our team is still looking at fixing in Storyline/Quizmaker so that you won't run into it again! 

Kelly-Anne Bardsley

Hello,

I am also experiencing issues with audio clips playing in preview mode.

I am trying to get a 'click' sound to play when dropping an object onto a drop area.

The audio clip plays ok on the timeline..

I have the latest Flash player, updated 2 weeks ago, and have checked my audio output is all working fine.

I have imported a fresh audio file to make sure a 'copied' instance was not corrputed

However, the 'click' never plays?

Can you advise please if I am doing something wrong or if this is a bug?

OR, If there is a better way to do this please :-)

Thanks in advance!

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Kelly,

You almost had it -- just one little change was needed!

In the "Show Layer +Click Audio" trigger, the object was defined as the Drag and Drop interaction. Instead, you'll want to define the object as the draggable objects, or the post-it notes. 

I added the trigger below for each of the three post-it notes. Check out the changes I made in your file, and let me know what you think!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.