"can't load plugin", google chrome and storyline

Jul 15, 2016


not sure if anyone can help with this - probably not a storyline issue?

Anyway when trying to run my storyline files in chrome on our network I am getting the "can't load plugin" message. It doesn't seem to happen on other networks some of our users use but is happening on my network.

I assume this is a flash-related issue.

I have created and implemented both the flash and html5 version of my storyline project.

Should the project automatically switch to the html5 version if it detects flash problem?

Here is an example tutorial: http://www.keele.ac.uk/hltutorials/gettingstarted/usingthehealthlibrary/story.html

Here is the html5 version: http://www.keele.ac.uk/hltutorials/gettingstarted/usingthehealthlibrary/story_html5.html

I'm struggling to find a work-round for our users. Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Cheryl.

7 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Cheryl!

Articulate Storyline lets you publish courses for Flash, HTML5, and the Articulate Mobile Player app. To distribute your published content, upload it to your web server or LMS, then link to the story.html file in the published output. Here’s how Storyline determines which version of your content to display when learners view it.

Andy Douglas

Hi Cheryl

I fixed the same problem just now, 'could not load plugin' in Chrome. This seems to be a Flash plugin error as it also presents itself when loading flash into Chrome from elsewhere on this one machine. Turning off Chrome extensions did not solve the problem. To get around the problem, this is what I did:  In Storyline 360 I made sure that the Publish settings are set to 'HTML5 / Flash' instead of 'Flash / HTML5'. This bypassed the broken flash problem altogether by loading the Storyline content in HTML 5. I have other Windows 10 machines with Chrome here but the problem just occurred with this one machine, not sure why. I hope this gets round the problem for you! :-)

Cheryl Kent

Thanks for the feedback, Andy.

Our IT dept spent a bit if time looking at the problem and they concluded that it was an issue around:

1. the version of chrome they have and the way chrome is now picking up flash

2. how they have set up the roaming profiles in our department (I work in a library and we hotdesk)

It was affecting other flash applications, so not just articulate.

They seem quite confident that it is not a problem that would be affecting our users. At the moment it seems to be working (not sure why) but it does seem to be temperamental.  As a work-round if the problem occurs I can test using IE.

I have not upgraded to Storyline 360 so this fix isn't available to me. I do choose to publish in html5 as well as flash (to allow use on tablets). However at the moment the deal-breaker for going html5 only is printing the quiz results. I know there has been some discussion of printing in this discussion https://community.articulate.com/discussions/building-better-courses/user-notes-that-they-can-print-and-email which I will investigate to see if this can give me a solution.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.