Cannot publish Story as a word document.

Was wondering if someone could help with the following. I have created a training course and when I try to publish it as a word document, I get an eror message as follows:

The folder "Story name xxx" is read-only, being used by another process, or you do not have the proper security permission to access this resource.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated. Thanks

21 Replies
Trevor Young

Hi,

Unfortunately I never got this issue fixed either. My IT department spent a long time installing and re-installing all to no avail. Storyline will let me publish to word once per session, the only way I can publish a subsequent file to word is by shutting down my computer and restarting.

Another colleague I work with has also recently installed Storyline and they also have the same issue.

Sorry I can't help you any further with this one.

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Gary,

There wasn't a screenshot attached here. If you reply via email any attachments are not included, so you would need to visit the forums page to post it here. 

You'll also want to confirm you're working on local project files and publishing to a local drive as described here.  I'd also review the issue here to see if you're running into a file security setting that would cause publishing to Word to fail. 

Carrie Albin

Hi Murl, I am having this same issue.  What did you mean by "importing it as described here".  I am looking for a solution and tried repairing Storyline, reinstalling Storyline, reinstalling Office 2013, changing the file name, changing the folders to not be read only, and changing the File Option settings but none of these things seem to have worked.  

I am running on Windows 8.1 using Storyline 1 and this only recently started happening to me two days ago.  Before that it worked fine.  

It seems to work fine on my older computer running Windows 7.  

Carrie Albin

I am having this same issue.  I am looking for a solution and tried repairing Storyline, reinstalling Storyline, reinstalling Office 2013, changing the file name, changing the folders to not be read only, and changing the File Option settings but none of these things seem to have worked.  

I am running on Windows 8.1 using Storyline 1 and this only recently started happening to me two days ago.  Before that it worked fine.  I am working directly from a local drive.  

It seems to work fine on my older computer running Windows 7.

Also just tried publishing to Word using Storyline 2 on my Windows 8 machine and get a totally different error.  Using Storyline 2 it acts like it is publishing (but only takes about 1 second) and shows that it is complete but when I click the View Document button nothing happens.  I tried navigating to the folder to see if I can open it from there and there is no Word doc in the folder.  

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Carrie, 

Nothing has changed in Storyline 1 recently so if it only started happening, I'd look at anything else that changed in your system - you mentioned doing the repair, and I just wanted to confirm that you did the repair here.  Are you also publishing to a local drive, and adhering to the file name/path guidelines here?  If you'd like to share a copy of the .story file I'm also happy to take a look.  

I believe what Murl was referring to was importing it into a new Storyline project following the directions here. 

Carrie Albin

Hi Ashley,  I submitted a case and Wilbert had me try several things even restoring my system back to the earliest restore point (which was May 6th) and none of it worked.  I made sure to check after each change and restart.  

So I tried to figure out what else may have changed on my computer specifically in Word since the last restore point since publishing in any other mode seemed to work fine. And I remember making one change in the settings because I kept getting an error message every time I would close down Word about having to save a template file. According to some instructions I needed to disable the Send to Bluetooth Add In (found in the COM Add Ins in the Developer tab of Word) in order to stop getting that message. So that was what I did and I was no longer getting those messages. However I guess it is tied to Storyline somehow and so I had to turn it back on. So I guess I have to live with the messages every time I shut Word down in order to publish to Word.  

So another item people may want to check is if they have the Send to Bluetooth Add In turned on.  It can be found in the Developer Tab in Word, COM Add Ins and then make sure Send to Bluetooth is checked.  That is the only thing that seemed to resolve the issue for me.  Hope this helps someone else.  ;)

Tex Hale

Hi Everyone

I had similar problems to you all and I uninstalled / reinstalled Office 2010 and Storyline 2 but the issues remained.  I then scoured the Microsoft community site and someone suggested downloading revouninstall http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html.  

It only takes a couple of minutes.  After opening I clicked on "Tools", then "Junk Files Cleaner", then Scan.  It looks as though nothing is happening but when you press Cancel it shows up the junk files on your computer which you should delete.  I did this several times to make sure all junk was removed.  Restarted my pc.

I then reinstalled Office 2010 and Storyline 2.  Eureka!! Word behaved as it should - exporting for translation and publishing.

It took a good hour to perform all those tasks but it was worth it.