Grade not reporting in CANVAS

Feb 19, 2020

CANVAS is not displaying the grade after a learner completes the lesson. An "X" is displayed as a grade instead of a checkmark. Our Storyline file has the following settings:

• SCORM 2004 3rd edition
  • Report status to LMS as passed/incomplete
  • Track using number of slides viewed

Once the SCORM file is uploaded to CANVAS it's setup as a graded file and the display grade on the assignment is complete/incomplete.

As a test, we uploaded the zip file to SCORM Cloud and the file worked correctly.

After not having any luck, we tried adding a complete course button to Storyline which would replace the "track using number of slides viewed" setting, but the results in CANVAS were still the same.....the lesson was not graded. There was an "X" in the grade instead of a checkmark. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

78 Replies
Meriem Chida

Hey guys - I am starting to think that Canvas does not support Articulate work ...maybe to prevent institutions from using Rise instead of canvas.. I don't know but I tried everything and I could never get the quiz, or view lecture slides, or a quiz within a lecture to export to the gradebook - it was a nightmare and after hours and hours recording and designing these lessons I ended up manually grading courses .. I did send my latest quiz bc my institution is not going to support SCORM Cloud for sure .... well 6 lectures later am back to square one so I hope the community can get back to me on this same issue

Valenture  Institute

Yeah recently started Storyline 360 with Canvas and are having issues with getting grade points to go into the grade book - some very inconsistent results.  We even had to figure out some Javascript to get partial grading to go through...SCORM 1.2 seems to be having a better success rate but still haven't solved completely. 

At the moment we are stuck only using it for practice activities. So we only use complete/incomplete in Canvas instead of points so we don't negatively impact students.  But still, get some inconsistent readings. Posted about it here: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/complete-incomplete-in-canvas-lms-gradebook-showing-cross-x

Valenture  Institute

Is this issue with all question types? It doesn't seem to work with drag and drop, but wondering if the graded multiple choice type questions does. Anyone had success?

We would like to start using multiple choice type questions - so far the points seem to hold in the gradebook, fingers crossed. 

Wondering if the SCORM maintenance update Canvas did yesterday will help. Still more testing to go. 

Dave Ruckley

Same issue here, tracking worked months ago when uploading and testing the SCORM packages but last week stopped working (most of the time). Some will mark as incomplete but its not consistantly doing that.

The only way I've been able to get scores out is using a trigger and some javascript on the results slide to push out a custom variable.

D Mark Ragg

I have been struggling with the same issue for a couple of years. On quizzes I opened another 0 point assignment so students could upload a screenshot of their results page. This works for quizzes as a work around and just requires me to have speed grader open in one window to see the grade and the grade book in another for inputting the appropriate grade. While not ideal it works for those assignments. 

In the past I would use the 0's in the complete/incomplete assignments as an indication that the student was in there doing the work. I could then use their time to get a sense of whether or not they are actually participating. There was always a "-" in the grade book if they did nothing. Again, not even close to adequate. It recently got worse with no - in the grade book and no 0. I suspect Canvas implemented another downgrade. 

I will try the SCORM 1.2 to see if I can get the 0's back. I am believing Miriam's conclusion that Canvas doesn't want Articulate product with work in their system. I have been fighting with them for 7 years and the ability to use Articulate products in the LMS is getting worse rather than better. 

Magen Leavell

Following this thread - Canvas released an update that impacted all SCORM packages that report as Complete/Incomplete. They will not be reverting back to the previous engine - I will continue to work with the CSM and Field Support and post the resolution once I know more and have thoroughly tested. I can't imagine the administrators at higher ed institutions will tolerate this update well either as they are tracking student participation using this scoring mechanism. 

Knowing the capabilities of the Canvas Engineers there isn't much doubt in my mind a solution is possible so as more institutions and admins report the issue, hopefully, they will implement a fix/patch. Good luck all and stay tuned! 

Cynthia Hollingsworth

I support faculty at a university where I load several vendor-supplied SCORM packages to a Canvas course. The SCORM is set to push out complete/incomplete. This is our third iteration of these training modules. The first two scored correctly; the third initially scored correctly.

The same content in the same course beginning in Spring 20 began intermittently recording 0% in the gradebook; first report received was 2/4/20. Recorded grades devolved after that from mostly 100%s and some 0%s to mostly all 0%s and now finally to no grades at all being recorded in most instances.

The R1 research institutions are discussing this issue and reporting similar behavior. Instructure engineers are aware of the problems.

FSU Research

Just wanted to share that we just started experiencing the same issue starting last week (around 10-15). 1.2 SCORM packages, set to complete with a trigger - it was all working flawlessly until next week. Now it won't record a grade in Canvas, it just shows up as incomplete. Extremely frustrating to say the least. It doesn't sound like Canvas support is being very responsive. 

FSU Research
Dave Ruckley

Same issue here, tracking worked months ago when uploading and testing the SCORM packages but last week stopped working (most of the time). Some will mark as incomplete but its not consistantly doing that.

The only way I've been able to get scores out is using a trigger and some javascript on the results slide to push out a custom variable.

Curious, would you mind sharing this code, or some more information? 

Jody Gardei

This is the response I received from Canvas yesterday: 

This a follow-up to our chat earlier. I tested the package you sent me in SCORM cloud and I received a few errors listed here: Completion=unknown, Success=unknown, Score=unknown

Our SCORM engine was updated a little less than a month ago and because of this, some SCORM packages that have been working are no longer working. You will need to reach out to your SCORM provider to have them fix the SCORM package for you.