Closed Caption Won't Display for Video in Storyline 360

Jun 29, 2018

I am having issues with the closed captioning displaying on a video from an embedded code.  I use the Legacy Flash Embed Code option from our media library and the video displays correctly, shows CC is On in the top right of the video (includes .srt).

I have added the Player.DisplayCaptions variable trigger to the first slide of my project, and even added a button to add a Player.DisplayCaptions trigger, but it won't work.

Our department prefers using embedded codes when importing videos. (yes, importing an .mp4 video and adding webvtt captions work).

Any suggestions?

2 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hey Paul,

It sounds like you are inserting a Flash web object from a private media library, is that right? 

If so, that object will have its own support for closed captioning. The Player.DisplayCaptions variable trigger will actually have no effect on your video since it is used to control closed captions that are built inside Storyline.

Paul A. Vigil

Thank you so much Alyssa, yes you were correct!  I was trying to use that variable after inserting a Flash web object.  I love the look when I import a video and do the Player.DisplayCaptions variable trigger, but sometimes I'm requested to stream from our media library server.  Now with Storyline 360 and the export captions feature, I can export a caption file and include in on our media library server when I'm requested to have the video stream from there.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.