Combining Quiz Results

Mar 16, 2015

Hello

I am using Storyline 1 to create a 3-module long course, and want to combine the results into one final score to determine if the students "Complete/Incomplete" the course (that is the setting required by our LMS). 

Currently I have 1 result slide per quiz, then a "Successful Completion" slide telling the learners they passed the class. The problem is that the "Successful Completion" slide does not give a final, culminating score - just a Congrats message - in spite of the fact that I have a Slide Trigger that reads "Submit Results 2.59 Successful Completion" when timeline starts" trigger, and one that says,  "If Results_2.PassPoints is Greater than or Equal to..." 80%. 

The 3 individual results slides have the same settings, except that they are reporting by "Selected Questions" not "Selected Results Slides" like the Culminating slide that is supposed to report the culminating score

Help please! 

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kendra,

When setting up the final results slide which option did you choose for tracking the results:

• User must pass each quiz: Select this option if learners must pass each individual quiz (represented by the tracked result slides) in order to pass the overall course (represented by the final result slide). If learners fail any quiz in the course, then they fail the entire course.
  • Combine points from each quiz: Select this option if you want the scores from all tracked result slides to be added together as the final score for the course, then enter a percentage in the Passing Score field. In this scenario, a learner could fail one or more of the individual quizzes and still pass the overall course

You'll want to choose combine points from each quiz to have the results total displayed on that slide. 

Ruth Mahoney

Hello,

My e-Learning course has 3 separate modules each with a separate quiz and a separate results slide. I have a final results slide with the results slides included from the 3 modules and selected Combine points from each quiz and a pass mark of 80%, but when I take the quiz on the LMS and get all the questions correct I only get 59% showing and In Progress which is wrong. How can I fix this to show the correct % and Complete status, I thought this is what the Final Results slide is for, am I not setting it up correctly?

Thanks

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ruth, 

In that scenario, the pass mark is calculating all the individual quizzes so if the user only completed one quiz they won't hit that 80% mark. 

Since Storyline tracks only one result slide, you'll want to get a little creative with your set up. Check out the recommendations in this thread--that should point you in the right direction!

Also, we've shared with our team the need for a feature that tracks only the quiz the user completes in this type of branching scenario. We're continuously exploring new features and customer input is extremely valuable in that process. If you’d like to chime in with your feedback on this, please share your thoughts with us through a feature request.

Jamie Howard

Hi All,

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I really struggled with this one and found a little bit different solution. Our compliance dept wanted a pretest that allowed you to:

A. Bypass the class by taking quiz 1. OR

B. Watch a presentation. At the end of the presentation, you declared that you understood or not. This declaration also functioned as a quiz.

I created 2 quizzes. Quiz 2 returns a 100 score to our LMS without using javascript as suggested in other forums. The "final" quiz also only has 1 question. The beauty of this is it allows SCORM to pass a score of 100 versus the 50% in the example with 2 questions.

I did this using a simple true/false statement.

1. The user enters and has the choice Quiz or Presentation.

2. If the User takes the quiz and passes they are directed to quiz 1 Success layer.

3. Here variable "Q1Pass" is changed to "TRUE." 

4. They are forwarded to Q2 question. The system redirects them to "ByPass" layer where they see a screen "One moment please..." Behind the rectangle the state of the TRUE button is changed to selected, the interaction is submitted and they are forwarded to Pass layer on Q2 Results.

If they fail, they are pushed to Quiz 1 Fail slide where they can then press a button to take them to the presentation.

If they fail OR they choose the presentation from the beginning, they do the following:

1. Watch presentation.

2. Go to Q2 Question 1. Since they have the Q1Pass variable defaulted to "FALSE" they must complete the declaration manually.

3. Declare that they understand or do not understand.

If yes, they go to the Q2 Success slide. They can review results and exit.

If no, they go to Q2 Fail slide, where they review results, click a button to rewatch presentation (the quiz is reset) and/or exit elearning. 

In either "PASS" scenario, they receive an LMS score of 100%. Again, no java.

In either "FAIL" scenario, they receive a 0 percent.

Jamie

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.