Compatibility between Stoyline 360 and Storyline 3

Apr 27, 2017

Hi there,

I´m wondering if Project-Files can be shared or imported both ways between Sl360 an Sl3 ?

Best regards,

André Lenich  

7 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi André,

Storyline 360 projects can be opened and edited with Storyline 3 except when they include new features that exist only in Storyline 360. Storyline 3 projects can always be opened and edited with Storyline 360.

We think this is the best way to help customers who need to exchange projects between the perpetual version and subscription version (which will always be more feature-rich) of Storyline.

So, in other words…

• Can I open a Storyline 360 file that has Storyline 360-specific features in Storyline 3? No, you’ll see an error message. But not to worry, remove those features and then you can open in SL3
  • Can I open a Storyline 360 file that doesn’t have Storyline 360-specific features in Storyline 3?  Yes, this will work!
  • Can I open a Storyline 3 file in Storyline 360? Yes, this will also work!
Susi B
Alyssa Gomez

So, in other words…

• Can I open a Storyline 360 file that has Storyline 360-specific features in Storyline 3? No, you’ll see an error message. But not to worry, remove those features and then you can open in SL3
  • Can I open a Storyline 360 file that doesn’t have Storyline 360-specific features in Storyline 3?  Yes, this will work!
  • Can I open a Storyline 3 file in Storyline 360? Yes, this will also work!

Hi,

we are thinking about a combination of SL360 and SL3. We want to use 4 SL3 and 1 SL360 to create our content. But we need to know if we can open SL3 in SL360 and SL 360 in SL3 in like 5 years too (always keeping in mind not to use any feature which is only available in 360).

A distrubitor just told us that SL3 will not be supported with updates for very long and it is not guaranteed to work in combination with SL360 forever.

Greetings

Susi

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Susi,

You'll always be able to upgrade an earlier project to the latest version of Storyline (so for example, Storyline 1 projects can still be opened in Storyline 360). 

Storyline 360, as a part of our annual subscription service, will provide you with continuous feature updates to Storyline (unlike Storyline 3). 

We continue to support our perpetual products, and support the current version (Storyline 3) and the previous (Storyline 2). 

What distributor were you speaking with? I'd like to make sure they have the most updated info! We'll continue to support Storyline 3 for some time with updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Susi B

Hi Ashley,

we had a look into the FAQ of Storyline3/360 and talked again to the distributor (Partekk) and there was a misunderstanding I think.

We can´t effort 5 Articulate 360 versions for our company but we really like to use Review for us and our customers. So we thought if Storyline 3/360 work together well (without using any feature only available in SL360) we could use a combination of 1 SL360 and 4 SL3 to produce our content. Seems like the distributor didn´t understand that we don´t need the Content Library etc. and told us that wouldn´t work.

Ali Saren

Hi Alyssa, 

Late to the game here, and new to Storyline.  Can you give a few examples or direction on where I can find what are some of the specific features that might not open from 360 to SL3?  Would this include the use of SL 360 characters, specific 360 content templates, and or use of 360 stock imagery (would the stock imagery even matter)?  Just wanted to double check!  Thanks!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ali,

SL360 characters and templates can be inserted and edited while in SL360 - and if you were to open that file in Storyline 3, you'd still be able to see them and use them in that project but not make any edits to the character pose or swap out the template for another one. 

As for other new features, we don't have a list yet as Storyline 3 was just updated the other day with a few of the highly sought after features that were included in Storyline 360 such as closed caption editing and changes to restricted navigation. You can see the list of features and fixes included in Storyline 3 here. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.