Copying states and triggers from one slide to another and retaining the triggers

Hello,

I've looked at the information here, https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/copy-object-with-states-and-associated-stage-change-triggers-to-other-slides.  I'm trying to consolidate the images that display the two variables, benefit and cost, on the same slide. I built the indicators on separate slides, as you can see in the "Benefit cost originals" scene at the end, and they work there. In the "Cost-benefit scene," I changed the triggers for the green arrow indicating benefit to belong the the arrow, rather than to the slide and copied and pasted the whole thing into the Cost slide. The triggers and states did come over, and it works. However, now the red arrow for costs and its states doesn't work any longer. I've tried changing the triggers to apply to the object and also to the slide, be neither thing works. Any suggestions about what's going wrong?

4 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Margaret - Could you share a bit more information about the steps to re-create the issue you are reporting here? I took a look at the variables thinking I could just pop in and check the slides they are used on, and looks like benefit is used 77 times and cost is used 103 times. What slide should I be focusing on? Thanks so much!

Margaret Morse

Hello,

Victor Reyes spotted the solution, although I don't know why it happened. If you look at the fourth scene of the file, where benefits and costs are on separate slides, you'll see that the charts reflect the values accumulated on the previous slides in that scene. However, when I pasted the chart for costs into the benefits slide in the second scene, all of the states for the cost arrow reverted to the "Normal" position. Don't know why it happened, it's not obvious when you look at the states for the arrow, and I didn't think to look at that as a possible problem, but that's what it was. I'll put a follow-up note with my query in the forum.

I think the variables are working correctly. Yes, they appear three times the number of statements in the survey (actually, six, because I've got the duplicate surveys, but I'll take the second set out). Each checkbox in each button set will adjust the variable if it's checked. The reason I assigned the values 1, 2, and 3, is that I was going to try to do some arithmetic with them and didn't want to divide by 0, but it turns out that my original solution was a lot more complicated than it needed to be. Charting the results on the same length axis takes care of the problem of comparing 7 items in one survey to 9 in the other, no weighting needed for the second survey.

Thanks for looking at the file!

--Margaret