Corrupt file

Jul 07, 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to publish a course but as I try to open it I'm notified that the file is invalid or corrupt and can't be opened. My coworker created the course. I've gone back and forth with him to get the training republished and still the error message. I only have issues with opening courses this coworker has created. Any suggestions for opening or retrieving a file that I can publish to the LMS?

10 Replies
Sheila Stamper

I had my co-worker send me the files via We Transfer. Once I downloaded the files I was able to open it while in the Downloads folder. From there I made a few changes then published the zip file to My Articulate Projects folder. I'm still not sure what the issue was but by using the download folder then publishing to My Articulate Projects folder I was able to upload the file to the LMS to create a course.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Malcolm!

So sorry for the trouble! It sounds like you are noticing issues with your projects after updating Storyline 360. We release updates every month for Storyline 360. If you have automatic updates turned on, we'll update your software as soon as an update is released. 

Since the updates are affecting your projects, I'd like our Support Engineers to step in to see what is getting in the way. Their team is available via a support case.
Ren Gomez

Hi Dale,

Sorry to hear that! If you were recently working on this project, you might be able to find an older version saved in your temporary files. Here's how to check: 

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer:  %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Here is a tip on working locally, but if you need further guidance, please connect with our support engineers, and they can lend a hand!

Malcolm Swinton

Hi

Any luck with the file?

Thanks Malcolm

Enabling people living with disability to live the life they choose

www.activ.asn.au

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you were not the intended recipient, we ask that you
please notify the sender and delete the email and any attachments immediately. The content of this email should not be reproduced or otherwise
republished without the sender's consent. Any unintended use by the unintended recipient is unauthorised and unlawful. No client privilege is
waived by receiving this email in error. We do not accept any liability in connection to this email or attachments from any harmful software, defects
or error. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Dale Perry

Malcolm,
Articulate support was very responsive and able to recover the shell of what was there, no template, all lessons dumped in to one lesson, all external assets, drawings, photos, and animations were gone. All that was left was text and whatever graphics I added using Storyline. Luckily, I do all the development, graphics, photos, animation, transcript, and voiceover so I still have all the assets before the corruption and a backup from three weeks ago. So now will use the old backup to start over and refer to the recovered file as a memory jogger.

Articulate needs to think about storing a project image automatically in the background, or at least have an option to do it. For cybersecurity purposes, the company I work for just banded the use of external memory devices so I was unable to do a local backup of my project. The company was pushing for and I finally decided I needed a safer location for this project I was working for so I moved it to One Drive. That is when the file blew up. And the response I received from Articulate support stated that one should never develop on a network drive as it increases the chance of corruption so One Drive doesn’t seem to be a good answer.

Thanks for asking.

Dale Perry
Training Manager
Industrial Fire & Gas Safety Solutions

M: +1 952.270.4062to

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Gerard, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thank you for reaching out to the support team. I can see that you're working directly with Jose, so you're in great hands.

Hi, Malcolm. Welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Did you submit the file to our support team? I could not track down a case number for you, but I'd be happy to take another look.

Hi Dale,

I appreciate you popping in to share some additional information for everyone here.

It looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.