Corrupt File

I am a month deep on a Storyline project and keep getting a corrupted file. I have had to backtrack three times now to an older version, and the next save after goes corrupted. I am working locally on my C: drive. Storyline ver. 3.29.19305.0 and I have tried rolling back to previous ver. of Storyline today due to the "Or was created in a previous ver." and it is still not working. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. I cannot continue to redo the same work attempting to ver. to a new version and keep getting corrupt files, or a corrupt final project. 

10 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Jeremy and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with your file and software.

There may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check: 

  1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

I'm curious if the issue happens in any course you are working on or just this particular one?

If you cannot re-create the issue in a new course, I would advise to import the file into a new one and proceed.

If it's happening in any/all files, you should conduct a repair of your software.

Jeremy Mains

Leslie,

Thank you for the reply. This is only happening with this one single file. I checked the temp folder and there is not a recovered or version in there. I have other projects in there, but not this one. I have the previous version of this file, which is what I have been rolling back to in order to attempt to proceed each time. Would you suggest importing the slides into a new project and seeing if that resolves the issue. I have "FileName_ver5" that I have rolled back to, and the corrupt files are "FileName_ver6" and "FileName_ver6-1". It has to be something within the previous version that is causing issues when I save to a new version I would believe. Thank you again for your help, I am open to other suggestions.

Jeremy Mains

Thank you all for the replies. I was able to push forward with my project my going back to my previous version (ver5) and then exporting the slides. I continued with another version, and this time it did not corrupt after saving as ver6. Different iterations of ver6 were what was corrupting (i.e. ver6, ver6-1,ver6-2 for testing purporses). Unfortunately, I had to repeat some of the work multiple times, but at least I was able to press on, and it goes much quicker the 3rd time around. I wanted to post my resolution in case anyone has a similar issue moving forward. Thanks again for all of your help!