Course Progression

Dec 04, 2019

Hi, I'm trying to set it up so that the user has to click "next" to progress through the slides (so it's not automatic) but I also want to make sure that they can't click "next" until the entire audio on the slide has been played. I tried locking navigation in the slide feature and advancing by the user, but it locks the slide permanently, as far as I can tell. 

If anyone has tips on how I can set up the slide progression, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Maria!

This is a common scenario to build in Storyline, so you're in the right place to receive tips and tricks!

To require users to complete certain requirements prior to moving to another slide, we'll need to use triggers and variables. 

For example, one trigger that would be helpful is to "Jump to Next Slide when user clicks Next if (insert requirements").

If you want to share your file, I'd be happy to offer more specific advice for creating this! You can do so by using the "add attachment" button in this discussion.

Alexis Creedy

Hi Lauren,

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

Here is the file. I'm trying to make it so they can't click "next" until the narration on the slide has completed. And once they've listened to the narration once, I would like them to be able to navigate freely throughout the slides they have listened to.

I tried adding a variable but couldn't figure out how to do it. Thank you again!

Brian Allen

(Maria?)

I've added these instructions to the first slide with audio in the attached course, but here they are again: 

1. Create T/F variable with default value of FALSE (slide01complete)
  2. Add trigger to set state of Next button to disabled at the beginning of slide’s timeline IF slide01complete = FALSE
  3. Add second trigger to change state of Next button to normal when variable changes if slide01complete = TRUE
  4. Add a final trigger to adjust the value of slide01complete to TRUE when media completes for audio 1

hope this helps!

Brian Allen

You could eliminate a trigger and instead of steps 2 and 3 you could substitute: 

• Jump to Next Slide when user clicks Next IF slide01complete = TRUE

What I don't like about this approach is that your next button looks "active" but doesn't work when your learner clicks on it. Because there's no explanation of why it isn't working this can frustrate some learners.

I prefer to visibly disable the button, then enable it once the audio has completed.

Brian Allen

Someone here in the community may have some tips around this, but as far as I know you'll have to set these up on each slide.

You can copy and paste triggers from one slide to many (I think), but once pasted you'll have to tweak the triggers for each specific slide.

The benefit in going this route with a T/F variable for each slide is that the navigation lock is "smart" in the sense that it will only restrict the Next button the first time through a slide. If a user goes back to revisit a slide the Next button will not be disabled, because the slide is marked as completed.

If you're not worried about that, then you could go a more simple route and set a trigger at the beginning of a slide's timeline to disable to Next button, with another trigger to change state to "Normal" at the end of the slide's timeline.

Very simple, but with this scenario the navigation will be locked everytime the user revisits a slide.

Hope this helps

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.