Course resets when pass in scorm 2004

Apr 03, 2019

I am using storyline 360 an publishing course to scorm 2004, 4th edition. The course has assessment at the end. I am testing on scorm cloud. When I pass the assessment and exit the module, and then if I relaunch the module all module variables are reset. Module start from first page.

I have set the course to always resume.

If publish the same course to scorm 1.2 and test on scorm cloud it behaves correctly.

10 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Sandy and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know what you are seeing in your published course.

Are you tracking by a results slide or by the number of slides viewed?

We do have an issue reported when tracking the number of slides viewed, reporting status of Completed/Incomplete or Completed/Failed, and SCORM 2004 that completed courses are resuming on the first slide.

Does that sound like what you are seeing as well?

Katie Riggio

Hi, Sandy. Appreciate these additional details!

I created a sample Storyline 360 course with the same reporting and tracking option and the Prompt to Resume on restart Player setting enabled. 

When I relaunch the course after answering each question and exiting the module, the course resumes correctly. What happens when you relaunch my content here?

Also, would you mind sharing your .story file so I can run some more tests? You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by using this upload link. I'll let you know what I find, and will delete it when we nail the culprit down!

Storyline Developer

Hi Katie,

Thank you for providing the test course.

Here is my observation for your test course-Once I answer the questions correctly and exit the course 100% score is recorded. Then when I relaunch the course it start from first page whereas it should start from the result page. And moreover it is allowing me to answer the questions again and over write the course.

My requirement is that once the module is "pass" user should not be able to answer the questions again. Questions should open in review mode as that is what the module is coded for.

Same module works correctly when published to scorm 1.2.

I have uploaded the output and source file in private now.

Thanks

Sandy

Katie Riggio

Appreciate you sharing your file and for this additional context, Sandy!

I ran more tests today where I now see what you're describing. While the behavior is almost a close match to the issue, Leslie, shared above, the tracking option is different. So odd!

From here, I'd like to get a second opinion from our Support Engineers to see if I can gain further insight from them. Look out for a follow-up email shortly, and I'll follow along so I can share updates here. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and I'm sorry for the headaches!

Katie Riggio

Hi again, Sandy, and those who may be following this conversation!

Circling back to share that we logged A completed LMS course resumes from the first slide when using SCORM 2004 and tracking result slide as a possible bug in Storyline 360. 

Using the Passed/Incomplete or Passed/Failed reporting status is the current workaround while we explore next steps. Thank you for bringing this environment to our attention, and we'll keep this discussion updated with any new information.
Jessica Schneider

Hi Sandy and Katie! I just found this thread and am having the same issue. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! I did actually try the Passed/Failed workaround, and it works as expected when I test in SCORMCloud, However, when I load the module into my client's LMS, it doesn't work. 

@Sandy, what's been your experience when publishing to an LMS? Did the workaround work for you?

@Katie, is there an update on the bug or any suggestions for this situation? Can I try publishing with SCORM 1.2 or a different edition of 2004?

Thank you so much!

Jessica

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Jessica and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you're running into this issue as well.

I do not have an update on this bug at this time, but this conversation is attached so that we can pop in to share when we are able.

During our testing, the workaround was to publish using the status passed/incomplete or passed/failed, but it was confirmed that SCORM 1.2 was resuming correctly as well.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.