26 Replies
Tim A

Hi Here is my version inspired by the hot potatoes system

http://goo.gl/LVI4V8

It allows the user to complete the puzzle in any order. There are layers there for the clues, but they are not necessary and you can replace them with triggered captions.

The interaction is based on the use of one text field and variables. Variables unhide the words.

The solution allows saving time when making these puzzles "en masse".

The next step is to try and make this scorm compatible, but I envisage issues there.

If you like this approach, you will need to find or make your own crossword font because the ones that are available, are not free. They are especially expensive if you intend on making your puzzle available via the web. So it is cheaper to make your own font using FontForge, which is opensource. The font in the puzzle above took me about two hours to make, but now I can make as many crosswords as I want.

Tim A

I used Hot Potatoes for scorm output for Moodle. It worked. However, since I discovered a way of doing a similar thing in SL2, I stopped using HP. HTML embedded into SL will lose some of its interactivity. Here is a sample of native SL2 crossword: http://examtraining.org/m2/pluginfile.php/1831/mod_resource/content/1/index.html

It is a little bit more work, but it is native and it works. I am still figuring out a way of turning it into scorm though.

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for sharing R! I believe it's working for me. 

Here is my published output:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tempshare-stage.storyline.articulate.com/stp1abbjefbck4f13dq1uqb1p0e1q614/story.html

You have to host the Hot Potatoes file somewhere, perhaps that's the step you're missing. You cannot just add the file like you shared with me here.