Custom Drag and Drop

Apr 21, 2014

I would like to create a drag and drop with custom feedback. 

I am trying to simulate a web search. The user must choose from four options to place into a search box and then click a "search" button.  If they choose the correct answer, A, I would like to show correct feedback in the form of either a lightboxed slide or a layer. That is easy enough. However, I would like the same thing to happen if they choose B.  That is they get the custom feedback that is only applicable to B.  And same for C and D. 

Is this possible and if so, is it better to use a Freeform Drag and Drop, or create my own with variables?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

6 Replies
Jerson  Campos

Hi Yvonne,

I attached a simple custom drag and drop. I didn't use freeform, because it would create some unnecessary triggers. I created it using two methods. I used state changes and variables so you can see how each work. On the search button you have to set conditional statements so it knows what layer to show when certain requirements are met.  I left option C untouched so you can practice with it.

You have to create two triggers for each option.  One trigger to get activated when the option is dragged over to the search field, and the other on the search button to show the correct layer.  If you have any questions, just ask.

Yvonne  Mery

Thanks so much. That almost works but it still has some problems I ran into when trying to create it.

If I choose option A first and click the Search button, I get the feedback for Option A (Great). If I then move Option A out of the search box and move option B into it and click the Search button, the feedback changes to display the feedback for Option B (great).

However, I do the opposite, that is choose option B first then choose Option A, the feedback does not change.

I can't figure out why.

Rob Berry

Hi Yvonne,

If I choose option A first and click the Search button, I get the feedback for Option A (Great). If I then move Option A out of the search box and move option B into it and click the Search button, the feedback changes to display the feedback for Option B (great).

However, I do the opposite, that is choose option B first then choose Option A, the feedback does not change.

I can't figure out why.

I ran into this myself recently. Jerson is right - it's more reliable to use state changes than variables here.

I attached a slide from an assessment I made - the user can drag and drop any of 4 icons to 2 circles. Two combinations are correct, and all others are not. The key (for me at least) was to use custom drop states for the objects rather than the drop targets. This let me use triggers that depended on which shapes were dropped and whether they were the correct ones.

-Rob

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.