Drag and Drop

Apr 14, 2014

Is it possible for me to share my drag and drop interactive piece with someone to help me out? I am not sure what I am doing wrong. 

13 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lora,

Thanks for sharing your .story file here with us. I see that you've set up some triggers to show a particular layer based on whether an item is dropped correct or not (using states) but that also each of the drag items is assigned to a drop target, so I'm not sure if you'd like them all to be correct or not. Could you tell us a bit more about what you're looking to set up with this drag and drop and then'll we'll be able to point you in the right direction. 

Some initial things I did notice that could be causing the issue, is you have the interaction set up to delay the feedback dropped states until the interaction is submitted, so therefore you'd not be able to trigger the layers. Also, since all the elements are assigned to the drop target - it wouldn't ever be correct based on the regular slide set up, since you don't want the users to drag all of them. 

So, I think we need a bit more information on what you'd like to happen to help figure out how you need to adjust your triggers. 

Lora Alston

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your reply. I might be confusing different pieces of storyline, so i will tell you what I am looking to do. There are about 10 words out there. I think 4 of them are correct. This is what I was looking to have this piece do...I want to let the user drag and drop any of the words that are available onto the clipboard. Then I want them to be able to click submit when they are finished, so it will tell them if they completed the exercise correctly. I also want to give them 3 tries before it tells them the correct answer. I dont want the words to move back if they are incorrect. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Lora,

If you set up your drag and drop to enable all the words to be drag items, they'll be able to be manipulated by the user, but you don't have to assign them all a drop target. So that way, you will only assign a drop target to those that are correct. You can enable a certain number of attempts for the question, and then you'll see a try again layer has been created which you could customize similar to the one you have. 

As a default for the drag and drop, the drag items will not be returned to the starting location on a retry. Since that behavior sounds to fit with what you want, I think you'll be safe using the standard set up for a drag and drop and won't need the customized triggers you enabled. 

Hi Lora,

You can use the regular freeform drag and drop set up, but you don't need all the extra triggers and states you assigned. I copied your slide elements to a new question and you'll see that on slide two. I've set it up for three attempts, so that the user will see the try again layer and when they redo it, the drag items are not returned to the original location so that the user has to determine which was incorrect/correct and drag them again. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.