Drag and drop freeform not working now in Storyline 360

Jun 27, 2017

Hi,

This drag and drop no longer works properly in 360 after coversion from Storyline 2 - see attached. At certain points the drop area orange stars appear over the top of the statements (they should always be below).

I vaguely remember another drag and drop not working either...

What's the problem?

29 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Chris,

Do you have the .story file you could share here?

I've seen a few similar reports of this, and those were based on using markers as your drag items. Also are you seeing this in the preview and publish? Do you know if it was Flash, HTML5 specific? 

If you can share your file we can take a look and dig a bit deeper! 

Chris Pim

Did i not Share it? I thought I had above.

It was in html5.

no it was dragging shapes containing text onto a large drop target area. The orange stars were just shapes to denote an approximate drop target. But the stars which were behind the drop area and the text shapes came to the front in runtime in HTML5

anyway when I redid the activity in 360 from scratch it works ok.

it is a conversion problem I suspect.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Chris,

The file that you attached was a zip folder of the published output - I'd want to take a look at the .story file where you set it up to see how everything was created. 

Glad to hear it's working in the recreation and if you need us to take a look at how it upgraded feel free to share the ~SL2 backup.story file.

Also, it looks like you have two ELH accounts here - totally ok with us, but wanted to share as an FYI. 😁

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Chris!

I'm not seeing a difference in the drag and drop interaction when I compare the original SL2 file to the upgraded SL360 file. If you could share a screenshot of the stars appearing on top of the statements, as well as the browser you used to test it, that would be really helpful!

I'm glad you were able to make it work by recreating it in SL360, but if there's something buggy happening in an upgraded file, we definitely want to get to the bottom of it. 😊

Susan Scammon

I'm having this EXACT problem!  In the quiz portion of my module when I drag and drop and click submit it says "You must complete the question before submitting."  If I then click on the hotspot it accepts the interaction.  That defeats the drag and drop purpose.  I was going to just recreate it in SL360, but I have several slides and was hoping to find a solution here.

Chris Pim
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Chris!

I'm not seeing a difference in the drag and drop interaction when I compare the original SL2 file to the upgraded SL360 file. If you could share a screenshot of the stars appearing on top of the statements, as well as the browser you used to test it, that would be really helpful!

I'm glad you were able to make it work by recreating it in SL360, but if there's something buggy happening in an upgraded file, we definitely want to get to the bottom of it. 😊

Try it on an iPad as that is were the problem occurs.

As I have been checking my projects I found out that i needed to:

Bring the large drop area to the front, then bring all the drag items to the front. That cured the problem.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Susan, it sounds like the trouble you're having might be a bit different. Is this happening in a file you upgraded from Sl2 to SL360? I definitely don't want you to have to re-create the project if you don't have to. Could you share your file so I can have a closer look?

Hey Chris, thanks for sharing your solution! Here's a screenshot from my test of the upgraded SL360 file on an iPad iOS 10.3.2.

Susan Scammon

So I've tried to get this to work using two different freeform question slides, the hotspot and the drag and drop.  It almost works in Hotspot, but I have to drag the answer piece over to the correct hotspot and then click on the spot, which is an extra step.  This functioned perfectly in Storyline 2 using the Hotspot slide.  I don't want to tell people to place their answer piece then click on it so any help you can give me would be much appreciated!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Susan! It looks like the drag and drop slide is working correctly.

I'd be interested in seeing the Storyline 2 version of the Hotspot slide, since you mentioned it used to work in Storyline 2. Normally Hotspot questions require the user to click on the correct hotspot, so I wouldn't expect dragging and dropping an item over the hotspot to trigger a correct response. 

If you have Operation_Example_SL2Backup.story handy, send it my way!

Matt Johnston

Hi, I am pretty sure that I am having the same issue. I upgraded a SL2 file to SL3 and now I have a drag and drop that is not working. I have tried messing with the Z order and that did not fix it. I have also tried to recreating the slide and it is still a problem in the new slide. The file was originally created in SL1. 

When I try to drag an image to the drop location sometimes it will require that I click again to get it to drop, but when I do that it will not register as drop correct. Sometimes it will stay stuck to my cursor and let me drag it all over and even pick up other drag images. Usually I have to get one to stick a drop for the others to fall off of my cursor. Sometimes I am able to get a drop to register drop correct and it seems like I am able to then use that one to drop all of the others onto it, but not always.

I have tested this in the preview and I first noticed it in a published output. I can't share .story file publicly and it is about 460MB so I am not sure how else I would be able to share it. I can attach a copy of the error log file from Chrome when I was testing the HTML5 version. It does seem to work in Flash, but we are using that as a fallback since many browsers are starting to kill off Flash support.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Matt,

Sorry that's happening! We have seen an issue in Storyline 3 HTML5 where the drag item gets "stuck" on the cursor when the drag items have grouped objects. I know you mentioned you're working with a large file--could you do a Save As and delete all of the other slides except for the drag and drop slide? I'd like to take a closer look to confirm that the bug I mentioned is appearing in your file. 

Hi Shannon,

You'll want to list all of the possible answers in Form View. Wrong answers need a "None" drop target, like this:

Have a look at the drag and drop slide in this updated file I attached. It should be working now!

Jo Kaptijn

Hi

I was having the same problem - sticky drag objects and correct drops not registering. I tried a few things like bringing to front / putting colour in drop zones etc. That did not work. 

In case anyone else follows this thread, and like me gets to the end and is frustrated that there is no solution posted after support steps in ... however I found another thread and my problem now sorted!!! So in case this helps others here you go:

Alyssa - Articulate staff wrote: We've found a problem with Storyline 360 Freeform Drag and Drop interactions in HTML5. Specifically, drag items do not drop or "stick" to the target when you release the mouse. This happens when you set Shuffle to Answers and Snap dropped items to drop target to Tile.

We're working hard to find a fix, and in the meantime, try these workarounds:

In the Drag & Drop options, set the Snap dropped items to drop target to Free.

Disable answer shuffling
We'll be sure to let you know once we have an update on this issue!

Katie Riggio

Great news, folks!

As Leslie noted above, I’m excited to let you know that we just released another update for Articulate 360, and you can check out the new features and fixes in the release notes! One of the fixes addresses an issue you experienced in Storyline 360 where drag items did not snap to drop targets correctly in HTML5 output when answers were shuffled.

Simply launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions — either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.