Drag and Drop issues.

Feb 14, 2013

I made a points based system that is dependent on drag and drop interactions, but it allows people to drag the correct answer out of the slot and back to its origin and then collect the points again. Is there a way to eliminate this.

15 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Mark!

You should be able to adjust the behavior of the drag objects and how they "snap" to the course through the question editor in your slide. Are you able to give us a little more information about your current settings for the drag and drop question, or share your .STORY file with the community? You're also welcome to share the file with us privately.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Mark,

I assume you're using a free form drag and drop then, correct? I'm not able to reproduce this. Do you have more than one drop target or additional points available for the course? It should only add points for one drop of the object.

Again, though, it's difficult to know what's happening and to suggest a solution without seeing the file

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Mark,

The object won't "lock" onto the target by default, but even so, it shouldn't allow the user to obtain additional points.

There is one thing you can try. You can add a trigger to the drag object that would change the state to "Disabled" when the object is dropped onto the correct drop target. This way, no users could even attempt to move or place the object elsewhere after they've put it on the correct object.

It would look something like this:

Would that work for you?

Christine Hendrickson

First, awesome course

Second, "AHH!". So this isn't showing the score on a results slide. Is it tallying the score from a variable to display there for the XP? Also, I noticed that the object doesn't disable when it's dropped on the target (took me a while to figure out the right answer, by the way). Wondering if that was updated?

By the way, I know you were concerned about sharing your project - would you like me to remove that link for you?

Mark Pickart

I asked my boss and he said it was ok I just don't like putting stuff out when I am still trying to figure it all out. But I had put the disabled markers on the wrong drag and drops so it wouldn't function. Thanks for the compliment btw. It will be better once I get all the dialogue changed for each character. Still trying to shrink the load time by dumping everything into master slides and running them off variables. I do wish there was a way to have music run from slide to slide without a reload break.

Christine Hendrickson

Whew, ok - good! And I totally understand. Right now I have about 10 unfinished projects and I wouldn't want to share them at the state they're in. However, yours is very impressive - you should be proud

I totally agree, I'd love to see more options for background music across slides. I know this something that we see a lot with feature requests too, but I'm not sure if that's going to be an option in the future.

I hope you have an awesome day, Mark!

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Mark,

Personally, I haven't done this. I think you should be able to use a variable that would subtract points if an object is dropped outside of the target, or if the wrong object is dropped on to a target, but I'm afraid I don't have any examples or information on that.

Perhaps one of our variable Heroes can give you some suggestions on this It may also help to post a new thread with a title describing this, maybe you'll get a little extra exposure and some additional feedback. In either case, I'm curious to see what you use for this, so please share if you find anything!

Thanks Mark! :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.