Drag and drop options

Jun 05, 2013

I have a drag and drop interaction that I would like to set so that when the users choses the wrong answer, they  can re try the interaction again.

The problem that I am having is when they retry the interaction, the option they intially selected remains in the dropped on the target they perviously used.

Is it possible to set the drag and drop free form interaction to reset the slide to inial state until the user drops on the correct target?

4 Replies
Mike Taylor

Hi Mark! There is an option on the right side of the Drag and Drop question editor, that you can select to change the behavior of your drag and drop scenario.

Return items to start point if dropped outside:  Select this checkbox if you want to force drag items to snap back to their original locations when users drop them outside of any targets or when users drop them on the wrong targets.  Then use the corresponding drop-down list to select “any drop target” or “a correct drop target”.

Will this do what you are wanting it to do? Or are you thinking of something else?

Mike

Mark C

Hi Mike and Rebecca,

Thank you for your feedback.

I actually have my slide set up so it resets to initial state everytime I review it however this means that if the user proceeds to the next slide and come back to the D&D slide, all the elements are reset which is great but what I would like it to do is to only reset the drag and drop when the user drops incorrectly but to save the state of the drag and drop when the user does it correctly.

I only want to give the user 3 incorrect tries and then have to review the the theroy before being able to attemp the interaction again the interaction again.

The only other thing I can think of is to dupliacte the slide and and link back to the correct slide when clicking previous, only if D&D was correctly selected.

Any other suggestions on this particular feature?

Mark C

After a clear mind and playing around, I have worked out a way to do this.  It's not 100% what I want but it serves the purpose.

I have created a True/False variable on the 'correct' layer so that when the timeline of the base layer starts, if the 'correct' layer has set the variable to 'true' then the 'correct' layer will be displayed.

I then set the base layer to reset inital state and the 'correct' layer to resume saved state.

That way, if the user goes back to that D&D, they won't have to recomplete the interaction again, provided they got it correct previously.

Thanks for your assitance Mike and Rebecca.

Got there in the end.

Mark Chuah said:

Hi Mike and Rebecca,

Thank you for your feedback.

I actually have my slide set up so it resets to initial state everytime I review it however this means that if the user proceeds to the next slide and come back to the D&D slide, all the elements are reset which is great but what I would like it to do is to only reset the drag and drop when the user drops incorrectly but to save the state of the drag and drop when the user does it correctly.

I only want to give the user 3 incorrect tries and then have to review the the theroy before being able to attemp the interaction again the interaction again.

The only other thing I can think of is to dupliacte the slide and and link back to the correct slide when clicking previous, only if D&D was correctly selected.

Any other suggestions on this particular feature?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.