Drag and drop problem

May 19, 2015

Please have a look at the attached file drag_drop_test. I want the user to be able to move on after three attempts.

The red square is the correct answer. I've set the number of  user tries to three. However, when you press 'Try again' on the third attempt, it still goes back to the original slide, rather than moving on. Is this feature available for drag and drop questions?

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Sean.

12 Replies
Sean O Domhnaill

Apologies everyone. I seem to be in Storyline meltdown! I actually sent the wrong file yesterday. The correct file is now attached.

I removed the freeform function from the question slides and reapplied it. That fixed things. The problem seems to be in the feedback layers. Do I build the 'Try Again' button into the feedback master or do I draw it directly in individual layers?

I can't figure out where the 'Try Again' and 'Correct/Incorrect' buttons originated on these slides as they don't appear on my master. Are they created automatically?

The other big problem I'm having is with refreshing the question slides after each incorrect effort. I've set the base layer to 'Return to initial state' but it's not doing it.

I probably come across as a complete newbie in these posts, though I've been using Storyline (reasonably successfully) for almost two years! My own learning seems to work best in a person to person situation rather than at a distance. Maybe I need some proper training!

Wendy Farmer

Hi Sean

I've downloaded your file...so tell me how does the user get from the 'correct/incorrect' feedback layer to the next layer if you don't use the 'continue' button - or that blue continue button is yours and that part of your problem is ok now  and it's just the 'reset issue'.

see post with reset issue...might help you.

Sean O Domhnaill

Hello Wendy,
The user will of course use the 'Continue' button. I'm just wondering if SL creates that button automatically or should I create it.

If I link the 'Try Again' button with a trigger I then lose the ability to set the number of tries.

The video in your recommended post explains the reset issue very well. However, it seems like a long-winded and time-consuming way to get a reset. Why not just allow more than two tries in the question form for a reset? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks for all your help.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Sean

the default SL feedback layers have a 'button' that you can modify. 

If you want, you can create your own feedback layer style and then select that layout from the Home tab > layout option to apply to your quiz questions by highlight the correct/incorrect/try again layers and selecting.

The number of tries is set from the Question tab > attempts.   If the number selected is greater than 1, a try again layer will be created by SL.  I don't understand you comment - if I link the Try again button with a trigger I lose the ability to set number of attempts. If you have two attempts, the incorrect layer will display if they try once - get try again layer, try twice - get it wrong. 

Sorry I am not being more help.

The D & D quiz type is one of the only ones I think that doesn't reset the states of the drag objects automatically on retry.  I have seen people use motion paths to send them back to the initial spot - not sure if this is any easier than the link I sent you.

Michael Shannon
Seán Ó Domhnaill

The video in your recommended post explains the reset issue very well. However, it seems like a long-winded and time-consuming way to get a reset. 

Sean. It looks like Wendy has addressed your questions. The above comment while true is the best way to get where you want to go. I use this same method quite frequently and it works flawlessly. You'll find that you have to jump through some hoops from time to time to get Storyline to do what you want it to. 

Sean O Domhnaill

Hello Wendy,
I very much appreciate your help in this. Forgive me if I sounded ungrateful. I've just tried that solution and it works. 

Michael,
Not sure why some of those hoops are there. I use lots of other software (particularly the Adobe suite) on a daily basis and most things are intuitive, with no need need for variables. Perhaps the problem is that logic isn't my strongest point!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sean,

It looks like Wendy and Michael have you covered here - and a number of the Storyline questions don't reset on a second attempt so that the user can see how they previously answered to go through the quiz attempt again. As you mentioned, if you use the reset with a "jump to slide trigger" it won't calculate attempts in the normal way, but you can a variable on that try again slide layer to determine how many attempts the user takes.

Also, the continue buttons are created automatically based on the feedback masters and since your file seems to be misbehaving you may want to look at confirming you're working on project files as described here and you could look at importing it into a new file as described here. 

Michael Shannon

Seán. I totally undestand. I too work with not only the Adobe suite but many other programs daily, and while Adobe software is pretty intuitive it still has its quirks (especially Illustrator).

Storyline is built for rapid development, so it takes a bit of getting used to its limitations. Usually, but not always, you can figure out a way to get where you need to go or post to this forum and usually find an answer. In the early stages of learning this program I was very frustrated by its limits. Now I look at it as a challenge to see if I can come up with creative ways to do what I need to do. Is it ideal? No. Does it add to development time? Yes. But it stands as a good rapid development tool. One of several I use. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.