Drag and Drop Question

Nov 18, 2012

Hi,

• I have 6 x slides, each of which has a flag image on it, and a list of words - they make up a Freeform Drag and Drop exercise.
  • In each case 2-4 of the words gets dragged onto the flag. If the user chooses the words that match the Flag, they get it right and continue to the next flag and choice.  If they get it wrong they get 2 more tries (3 tries in total).
  • There's no results slide.

If they get it wrong, how do I get the choices to snap back to their original positions?

I have the Base Layer set to "Initial State" upon revisiting, but this does not seem to do the job. I can drag the words off the Flag and start again, but this is not ideal - have I missed a simple setting somewhere?

Thanks

Bruce

11 Replies
Kay Gugliotta

Hello Bruce,

I am not sure if I am going to be of much help to you, but I was learning about drag and drop in one of the Storyline tutorials today.

There is a setting in the Drag and Drop Question Type menu, on the right hand side immediately under DRAG ITEM OPTIONS Check the box that says "Return Item to start point is dropped outside"  and SELECT "a correct drop target"

I have inserted an image, and here is a link to the tutorial.

http://community.articulate.com/tutorials/products/create-a-drag-and-drop-interaction.aspx

This may not be the answer you need, but with your knowledge of Storyline, it may point you in the right direction.

I hope this helps...

Kay

Geert De Rycke

Hi Bruce,

I've tried to mimick what you described here above.

Unless we both are turning blind or are suffering from temporary amnesia, I don't think it is possible.

I even tried that the slide jumps back to itself after failure, but not success.

And if it was, I would like to know about it as it is a nice feature which I had ever thought of

Geert

Bruce Graham

Thanks Kay - unfortunately that's not going to change things, because the problem happens if it is dropped inside. Hope you learned a lot from the tutorial anyway!

I cannot believe that this is not possible - it is such an obvious thing to want to do.....    :(

The other thing I have found is that even if you "random stack", you cannot specify a co-ordinate to have the stack. If you are dropping onto a predominantly black flag, and there is no "auto-return", then you cannot see the word anyhow.

Hmmm...this day is not going as planned.

Where's Jeanette when you need her - there's probably a simple explanation, like pressing Alt-Del-UpArrow+&8 or something....

Bruce

David Anderson

Hey Bruce - do you want to file a feature request for the reset functionality?

There is a way to achieve a reset-type functionality. So, while this isn't built-in functionality today, you can achieve your desired interaction using variables.

It requires a little extra effort, but once you have the first drag object/drop target set up, it's really a matter of copy/paste/update trigger for the remaining objects.

Demo

Source

Diana Myers

David Anderson said:

Hey Bruce - do you want to file a feature request for the reset functionality?

There is a way to achieve a reset-type functionality. So, while this isn't built-in functionality today, you can achieve your desired interaction using variables.

It requires a little extra effort, but once you have the first drag object/drop target set up, it's really a matter of copy/paste/update trigger for the remaining objects.

Demo

Source

David - thanks so much for posting that demo - I'm in the middle of trolling the forums for an answer to another drag and drop question, and your post just so happens to really help on another a project I'm working on.  In the words of Crush the Surfer Turtle "You so totally rock, dude!" (your Finding Nemo reference for the day)

Kelly Prince

Hi there!  I'm also struggling the reset function with a drag and drop question. With the above solution, the slide resetting seems to override the Questions attempts. I want to question to reset to the original state once, and then show the try again layer after 2 attempts. is there a way to manually count how many times the user has tried to answer the question incorrectly and make that a condition of jumping to the Try Again layer? Variables are my area of least expereince...I have a class coming up this month through eLearning Guild to cover these more complex situations.

I also tried David Anderson's approach, but had the same issue, just entered an endless loop of "try again."

http://community.articulate.com/forums/p/12812/78830.aspx

David Anderson said:

You can reset an interaction using the slide preferences.

Just include a button on the Correct and Incorrect feedback layers to Jump to Slide and select the interaction slide. Check out the attached .story file

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.