Drag and Drop state changes

Jul 17, 2018

I created a drag and drop activity where you drag 8 ovals onto 8 pictures. If the oval is dropped correctly, its state changes to hidden. When the oval's state is hidden, the corresponding picture's state changes to "correct". Everything works correctly in the initial attempt.

However, in subsequent attempts moving certain ovals (that were dropped incorrectly) causes another oval that was dropped correctly to change state from Hidden to Normal. This makes correct answers appear to be wrong, and worse, allows them to be moved from the correct position.

After much troubleshooting, it seems that moving an incorrect oval seems to effect the next oval if it was dropped correct. For example, if oval 2 was dropped correctly and oval 1 was not, moving oval 1 in the next attempt causes oval 2 to change states to Normal. Moving oval 2 changes oval 3, oval 3 changes oval 4, etc. In the attached file I have moved the ovals so that they appear in order 1-8 and line up to the picture they match. Anyone have any ideas why the states would change?

8 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hi there, Dennis. Thanks for including your file!

I tested it in Storyline 360 (v.3.17.16188.0) and saw the same behavior you described–yikes! I don't see anything in your file that would cause the submitted oval to change its state all of a sudden, so I'd like to get a second opinion from our Support Engineers.

I've submitted your file to our team to have a closer look, and they'll reach out to you via email soon with their findings. Keep an eye out for an email shortly, and I'll also follow along!

Dennis Gifford

I figured out part of the problem. Since the ovals are set to appear one at at time in the initial attempt, they are are set to hidden by the program.  Dragging and dropping the first oval automatically changes the state of the next oval in the sequence to Normal. However, the system is continuing to make this automatic switch to Normal state in subsequent attempts even though the ovals are no longer hidden. When I change the reveal order, it changes which ovals are affected.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Becky,

I'm glad that Dennis (thanks, Dennis!) was able to pop in and share an update on his course with you.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.