Drag and Drop Woes

Dec 09, 2020

Hello-

I have a SL3 project that has several drag and drop interactions, as well as a couple multiple choice, then a review quiz at the end. 

The drag and drops are all set up to give the user 2 attempts. On the first incorrect attempt they get the try again pop up, and are then taken back to the base layer and it is reset. I have a variable to count the number of attempts, so if they are wrong on the second attempt, they get the pop up taking them to the review slide.

Everything works fine when I am previewing, but after I publish, only the first drag & drop gives 2 attempts, then the rest only give one. So instead of telling them to try again on a first incorrect attempt, it just takes them to the Review pop up.

I have pulled out most of the slides except the interactions and the quick and results slide, and am posting here. If anyone can find it in their heart to help me, I would be most grateful! I have googled and googled with no luck.

5 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Lea,

I have noticed a couple of things that you should change.

Firstly, the one that I think is causing your problem is the variable "try". When you finish the first question, the value of "try" is set to 1, which means that when you get to the second question, it automatically triggers the Review layer even on the first attempt. What you need to do is to reset the vale of "try" to zero when the timeline starts on the second question, which can be done with a simple trigger on the base layer.

The second item doesn't actually change anything, but is just good practice. On each layer you are hiding the layer and then jumping to a new slide when the Try Again / Continue button is clicked. There is no need to hide the layer as it will automatically disappear when the user is jumped to the next slide. You can therefore remove three triggers on each of your quiz slides.

Hope this helps, but if you have any further queries, just get back to me.

Ned Whiteley

Hi Lea,

A slight amendment to my previous post.

What I forgot to take into account was the fact that you are jumping back to the same slide when the Try Again button is clicked. Using the reset trigger I mentioned in my previous post would result in the variable being continuously reset on the second question and so you would never get to the Review layer.

I was originally trying to find a way for you to use the same variable with each quiz slide as you had originally set it up, but I now feel that you would be better off having a "try1" for question 1 and a "try2" for question 2. That way they don't need to be reset and you quiz should operate as you want it to.

Also, you have a slight problem with your trigger order on the second quiz slide. On the Review layer, you currently have the trigger that changes the value of the variable after the one that jumps back to the slide. Once the user has been jumped, the variable won't be changed as the layer has already lost focus.

I would rearrange the trigger order with the "Set try to value 1 . . . " at the top.

It currently works ok on the first quiz question because the trigger that jumps to the next slide is at the bottom of the list.