Editing the middle of a video

Feb 13, 2018

Is it possible to trim the middle section of a screen recording? If not, is there any way to get a Storyline 360 screen recording exported so I can edit it?

5 Replies
Michael Marcos

Hi John, 

It is possible to do this in Storyline with a couple of extra steps. Here's how I have managed to get this done in the past.

1. Right click on the original video in the timeline, select copy. Right click again anywhere inside the blue highlight and select paste. This will create a copy of the video above your original one in the timeline.
  2. *Best Practice* Rename both videos, or drag them up/down in the timeline so that the naming convention is in order. i.e. Video 1 is at the top, Video 2 is at the bottom.
  3. On the canvas, the new video's position will be offset by a few pixels. Adjust it until you see the purple vertical and horizontal guidelines show up.
  4. Trim the top video from the beginning up to the point where the unwanted content begins.
  5. Trim the bottom video from the point where the unwanted content ends up to the end.
  6. Adjust the original and the copy in the timeline to play continuously. 
  7. Lastly, the timeline will be longer than the duration of the two clips. Adjust the end of the timeline to lineup with the end of the second clip.

Hope this helps.

Here's a link that delves a more deeply into screen recordings.

Storyline 360: Editing Screen Recordings

Final note, 

You can find the screen recording in the story_content folder after publishing your project. The file name will look something like video_6SKTwfQPnoF_22_48_720x406.mp4. 

Cheers.

Darin Fennell

Katie,

Thank you for sharing that video. I understand that is what is supposed to happen. However, there is a step I am not able to do. First, let me say the video is a screen recording done in Storyline 3. In the middle is a long pause that I want to get rid of. I select the video, right-click on it, and there we stop. Cut and Copy are greyed out. The only available option is to paste, which doesn't help me since I have not copied it yet. Have I tried clicking the paste just to see what it would do? Yes. It just pastes an item I had previously cut. I don't know if the copy and paste feature only works with external videos or if I have to publish the story first, then go back and find the video to edit externally.

Ren Gomez

Hi Darin,

Thanks for those additional details! I was able to right-click and copy/paste my screen-recording in Storyline 3, so it should work with recorded videos as well.

As you mentioned, you may want to try publishing the course to retrieve the video file, but you can also try repairing Storyline 3 to see if that helps with inserting a copy of the video.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need additional help, our support engineers can troubleshoot your file as well!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.