English to Hebrew Translation Problem

Hi! is there any of you guys encounter same problem with mine? I just translated my course from english to hebrew, I have successfully imported the translated hebrew document, but unfortunately after importing, the content is not translated to hebrew, instead this character below shows up as replacement of hebrew language:

-"ðáéèä äéà ëàùø äæøò îöîéç ùåøù äòìéåï. éùðï ãøëéí øáåú ëãé ìðáåè æøòéí, àê äãøê äôåôåìøéú áéåúø ììðáåè æøòéí îöéáä àú äæøò áéï îâáåú ðééø øèåáåú. æä àîåø ì÷çú áòøê 1-7 éîéí, ëì òåã äæøò ùìê éäéä îú, àå æ÷å÷ ìéåúø èéôåì."-

This problem is just for the content, because when I tried to translate the player to hebrew it works. I already configure the right to left option but still don't work. 

Do I miss some process in translating to hebrew? Any help or suggestion is much appreciated.

By the way I'm using articulate storyline 2.

Thank you,

Poenapi

31 Replies
Emily Ruby

Hello Poenapi!

Please make sure that you are working locally as described here.

I did a test file and was able to use the translate feature. I used Google Translate to translate the text in my file to Hebrew, and it did import Successfully:

Could you share the exported word doc here, or a page or two so we can test this from our end?

Poenapi Cenas

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the quick response to my concern. Yes, I follow the guidelines as instructed from the link you provided. But it doesn't work. I used google translate in translating my content to hebrew and translation is successful, it just that when I imported the document to articulate, my problem appears.

By the way, I have attach here a sample of the translated document. It's already in hebrew.

Thanks,

Poenapi

Brent deMoville

I have also found that there are different versions of Hebrew fonts depending on whether they are designed to work with certain word processors like Davka or if they are more generic.  I have found that Adobe Hebrew or a font called David seems to be more compatible.

Finally, some of the fonts seem to only display the Hebrew when you have changed the keyboard configuration in Windows from an English keyboard to a Hebrew keyboard.

I hope that some of this helps.

I opened your Word file and all of the Hebrew is showing correctly .  Since I don't have your .story file I could not test the import.

Brent deMoville

I am having the same problem.  I made a very simple one slide, one phrase file.  When it comes in it is displaying gibberish.  I have a number of different Hebrew fonts installed and this seems to make little difference.  I even tried it with the Hebrew keyboard active.  When I type Hebrew text directly into the file, it displays fine with no issues so I know that the display fonts are active. 

I am at a loss.  I hope the Articulate team can help.

Emily Ruby

Hello Brent!

Unfortunately I am not able to recreate the issue on my end with a new file.

See attached. It did import successfully:

The only difference is that my text is in Open Sans font (the default) and your was in Arial.

However, I changed mine to Arial and it worked as well.

Poenapi, you may want to open a support case for this.

 

 

Brent deMoville

Emily:

Your files worked for me as well.  I can't see anything that you are setting up differently than me.  Did my simple set of files work on your machine?

By the way, I originally had Open Sans in the example and it probably changed when I was trying different fonts to see if it made a difference.

Are you changing any settings to the Storyline interface or player that are different from the standard default settings?

Brent deMoville

When I try the import, I noticed that I get garbage and the font is no longer identified in the font bar.  I inserted a screen shot below.  I'm not sure what is happening.  The English was, "Where is your house?" and the Hebrew should be "?איפה הבית שלך"

I started from scratch again with a new file and it imported correctly.  The only difference that I can remember is that I saved the English .story before trying the translation.  The first time I tried a quick import without first saving the English file.  Do you think that could make a difference?

Poenapi Cenas

Hi Brent and Emily,

Thank you for helping me out from this issue. I tried both of your samples, and Emily's sample works at my end when I imported it to articulate. So I decided to export the content again from Emily's example to look for possible settings that is different from Brent's output. But unfortunately it didn't work. I get the same issue again. Please see attached files for working and not working example. And the attach doc is from the new exported content from Emily's example.

working

Sandy Rushton

Hi Alyssa,

I was having trouble when pasting Hebrew directly from Google Translate into the translation word document. It would appear as random characters in the same way as Poenapi described.

I found that if I pasted it into the document without choosing to 'Use Destination Theme', I didn't have the same problems with the characters. Though obviously this did affect the formatting of the text, initially.

I also had the same problem and found the same solution for Arabic.