Error message

Jan 14, 2020

Hi

I am trying to save a stroryline file and it refuses to save. I keep getting the error message:

The project file could not be saved. 

The handle is invalid. Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070006 (E-HANDLE)

Does anyone know what this means? And is the file corrupt?

What can I do to ensure that the file saves.

Thanks

Regards

Roger

7 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Roger!

The first thing I recommend is looking in your temp folder to see if there's a working version of your project.

Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

If it's there, go ahead and save it on your local drive using a new name.

After saving the file, I'd recommend performing a simple repair to Storyline 360. This article explains how to do that! 

Keep me updated!

Katie Riggio

Hi Margo,

I'm happy to jump in with a few ideas to get you back up and running:

1. Close, Copy, Rename, and Import: Close all instances of Storyline and create a copy of the file. Rename the copy and save it to your desktop. Then, follow these steps to import the slides into a new Storyline file.
  2. Temp Folder: Try Lauren's steps to check your temp folder to see if there's an earlier version of the file.
  3. Share: Our Support team is happy to look at the affected .story project to see if we can restore a working version. Use this case link to share it privately.

Let us know if any of these steps help!

💡 Pro tip: Though it's tough to track down why files become corrupt, the best practices in this article can help prevent that error.